Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Pay over Time limit and APR

tag
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

AMEX Pay over Time limit and APR

A couple months ago I got a letter from AMEX saying I am eligible to enroll in Pay Over Time (and am already able to use Select & Pay Later).  They gave me a limit of $35k and list an APR of 18.24%.  Are these pretty typical of the program?  The APR seems a bit excessive, as does the high limit.  My largest limit on a credit card is $7k through Citi.

Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Pay over Time limit and APR

IIRC, $35K is the limit for everyone.  Don't remember what my APR is, but what you're saying sounds about right.  I think those are just standard terms for the program.  It doesn't mean you can necessarily charge $35K (though you may be able to, just depends on what your internal limit is). 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
n777ua
Established Contributor

$35k is for everyone, IIRC 18.9% is also the standard APR although there was a poster here who claimed they got theirs lowered to ~15%

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 3 of 7
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info.  That makes much more sense.  I couldn't believe they would let me charge that much.  However, the APR is really high.  Don't plan on using the pay over time feature, but if I did that APR would be rough compared to my others.

Message 4 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

Thanks for the info.  That makes much more sense.  I couldn't believe they would let me charge that much.  However, the APR is really high.  Don't plan on using the pay over time feature, but if I did that APR would be rough compared to my others.

id it say it goes into effect tommorow?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 7
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

id it say it goes into effect tommorow?

It's actually shown up on my last two statements.  I always pay in full and haven't assigned anything to the pay over time feature.  Just finally got around to calling in and asking about it.

Message 6 of 7
RSCo
Established Contributor

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

A couple months ago I got a letter from AMEX saying I am eligible to enroll in Pay Over Time (and am already able to use Select & Pay Later).  They gave me a limit of $35k and list an APR of 18.24%.  Are these pretty typical of the program?  The APR seems a bit excessive, as does the high limit.  My largest limit on a credit card is $7k through Citi.

Same thing I have.. I just picked up the GPR card last week and they also offered me this feature when I activated my card.. Got a letter saying the limit is 35k w/18.24% interest.. I would only use if for anything over 500 tho for me and would pay it off in 2 payments if necessary..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.