Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Plat Holders: Favorite Perk?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Plat Holders: Favorite Perk?

Just got this in my hands yesterday. Can't wait to start using it (and get billed for the new $550 because I was stupid enough to not make up my mind before the change Smiley Mad), I'd like to ask current cardholders:

Which perk in the Plat do you find the most useful/worth it for you? And if its not in the Plat which perk in which travel card would be your top?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Plat Holders: Favorite Perk?

Centurion Lounges, SPG Gold and FHR are my 3 favorites.  There are lots of benefits and some that you need to enroll in so make sure you review the list of benefits carefully.

Message 2 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got this in my hands yesterday. Can't wait to start using it (and get billed for the new $550 because I was stupid enough to not make up my mind before the change Smiley Mad), I'd like to ask current cardholders:

Which perk in the Plat do you find the most useful/worth it for you? And if its not in the Plat which perk in which travel card would be your top?

I got rid of my amex plat because I had other high end cards that covered many of the benefits. I never got to try a centurion lounge so that benefit did nothing for me. Probably the most useful was the SPG gold status which I don't feel like did a whole lot for me. I had hilton gold from another card already. The airline credit was nice, but like I said I ditched the card. If I went back to the card it would be because I needed the hotel status especially if it extends to marriott now. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I got rid of my amex plat because I had other high end cards that covered many of the benefits. I never got to try a centurion lounge so that benefit did nothing for me. Probably the most useful was the SPG gold status which I don't feel like did a whole lot for me. I had hilton gold from another card already. The airline credit was nice, but like I said I ditched the card. If I went back to the card it would be because I needed the hotel status especially if it extends to marriott now. 

so which card/perk in it do you prize as your highest now? 

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Centurion Lounges, SPG Gold and FHR are my 3 favorites.  There are lots of benefits and some that you need to enroll in so make sure you review the list of benefits carefully.

Yup, my email is now flooded with enrollment emails to the hotel programs and car rentals....still need to enroll in my TSA prechecks and priority pass though,,,

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the new card!!! 

My favorite perks are the elite status with 3 car rental companies, Centurion lounges access, Delta Sky Club access, and the International Airline Program ( I haven't used this perk yet but I have a trip I'm planning for later on this year and I'm looking forward to using it). 

I just wish this card had trip interruption/cancellation protection. If it did this would be my ultimate travel card. Since it does not offer this I use my Ritz Carlton card to make any airfare purchases. Sincentives I'm WAY over 5/24 I don't qualify for the CSR or CSP.

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Centurion Lounges and precheck for myself and every authorized user.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the new card!!! 

My favorite perks are the elite status with 3 car rental companies, Centurion lounges access, Delta Sky Club access, and the International Airline Program ( I haven't used this perk yet but I have a trip I'm planning for later on this year and I'm looking forward to using it). 

I just wish this card had trip interruption/cancellation protection. If it did this would be my ultimate travel card. Since it does not offer this I use my Ritz Carlton card to make any airfare purchases. Sincentives I'm WAY over 5/24 I don't qualify for the CSR or CSP.

Thank you and yea; if AMEX was more lenient on their travel policies and made the bonuses eligible at as many places at Chase this card would blow away everything else....but only time can tell I guess, I only just got the Plat and haven't had any personal experience with the CSR, though I'm aware that the CSR counts almost literally anything as travel.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why would you need the Platinum when you have the Centurion?

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why would you need the Platinum when you have the Centurion?

the cent is just an AU (also got it after I got my plat, had no idea I was getting one), while the plat i applied and got in my own name, I don't use (moreso not really allowed to) my AU cards except for emergencies or for family related affairs. Parental prefers I practice independent management of my credit Smiley Sad I could tell her I have a plat now and theres no need, but I'm not gonna deny an AU line and a free cool card Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.