Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Plat PreApproval

tag
counticecream
Valued Member

AMEX Plat PreApproval

I just did my weekly check for preapprovals, and low and behold I am preapproved for the Platinum?! 

Do do I pull the trigger and apply?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Plat PreApproval

Message 2 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It depends on if the platinum will meet your needs for the $550 AF?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 13
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Don't get it because you are flattered by the preapproval. Get it if it will save you more per year than it will cost you, or if the perks are worth more than the dollar cost to you. Personally, I don't travel that much (and when I do, expenses mostly go on the company Amex), so I would not get it.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will you  be able to take advantage of the travel perks? If you travel a lot, its a great card. Otherwise, it is a $550 AF card that gives you 1 MR on everything besides plane ticket and hotel through Amex travel.

How much is your pre-approval offer for, 60k, 75k, or 100k MR points for $5k spend? Make sure to get at least 75k MR points. Smiley Very Happy 

Message 5 of 13
counticecream
Valued Member

I am starting to budget for heavy travel over the next couple of years, so for me, the AF is justified based on wanting to use it as a travel card. I am more so asking because I don’t know what the approval rates are when they preapprove you when you have an existing relationship.

Message 6 of 13
counticecream
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Will you  be able to take advantage of the travel perks? If you travel a lot, its a great card. Otherwise, it is a $550 AF card that gives you 1 MR on everything besides plane ticket and hotel through Amex travel.

How much is your pre-approval offer for, 60k, 75k, or 100k MR points for $5k spend? Make sure to get at least 75k MR points. Smiley Very Happy 

Oh the offer is for 60k?! Hm.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@counticecream wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Go to Cardmatch.com to see if you get a 100k offer. If not, the 75k offer is easily available through incognito mode.

Message 8 of 13
counticecream
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@counticecream wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Go to Cardmatch.com to see if you get a 100k offer. If not, the 75k offer is easily available through incognito mode.

Even with incognito mode, I’m still getting the 60k. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using Chrome incognito mode. Works everytime for the 75k.

Go to Americanexpress.com, then right click on the "Personal Cards" then open link in incognito mode.

Amex Platinum.jpg

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.