Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Plat Upgrade Offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Plat Upgrade Offer

I know there are a million of these threads probably weekly, just looking for opinions before I do something stupid Smiley Very Happy

Logged into Amex with the offer to upgrade my PRG to Plat for 60k points w/ $5k spend in 3 months? Should I try to hold out for a better deal? I think eventually I am going to upgrade the card, the higher fee does not bother me and I am beginning to travel more often as my income is steadily rising.

The PRG is easily my most used card, anywhere from random purchases to commuting costs to travel. I have the Delta gold card which I really just apped for because I primarily only fly Delta and there was a decent bonus offering. That card has a few automatic recurring charges and is my go-to for Amazon purchases and is also my highest CL.

Then I have my Chase Freedom and Discover IT. Again a few recurring charges on each such as insurance and utility bills.

That's just general usage but I would say the break-down is PRG - %60, Delta - %20, IT/CF - %10/each.

I also have no desire for the CSR because I value my MR points more hence usage. Also kind of figure that once I do get the Platinum, that's probably it as far as CCs. Opinions appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Plat Upgrade Offer

I would take it. MR points are pretty great and the airport lounge pass includes Sky Clubs, which is great since you often fly Delta. The 5x for air and hotel through Amex Travel is really what makes it super attractive to me vs. 3x on the PRG. The points are worth it, even if you only keep it for a year and covert back. 60k MR points valued at 2 cents for travel is $1,200, which covers the first and second year's AF.

Message 2 of 5
iced
Valued Contributor

American Express usually has a 100k points offer for new accounts. I know it's not the same as an upgrade, but if you don't mind the new inquiry/account I would just go that route if points are what you're after.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would wait for the 75K or 100K offer.
Message 4 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

If you aren't interested in opening a new account, I'd say go for it.  Otherwise, try to get yourself a 75k or 100k offer and apply for a new account.  YMMV, but I have decided that my Platinum (and other cards) have rendered my PRG obsolete, and I am actually probably going to close my PRG which was my daily driver for nearly 14 years and used to get $40-60k a year run through it.  Just waiting for that AF to hit later this year so I can call retention.

One caveat with Delta, lounge access is only for the cardmember when flying Delta (or WestJet purchased through Delta) - guests will be extra but likely covered by the airline fee reimbursement if you choose Delta as your airline.  The other caveat would be with the 5x on hotels - since it is only valid for purchases through Amex Travel, it is unlikely that any status perks will be given at the hotel and apparently Amex uses Expedia for booking, so be prepared that you may end up with the room with the view of the 40-story building across the alley.  I really wish they had gone with 5x when booking directly with the hotel like they do with airlines.  There are a ton of other reasons to upgrade, and as someone else said, depending on how you value MRs, the points could easily give you a couple of years to decide if it is the right card for you.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.