Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum experience in Spain

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Platinum experience in Spain

Hi all,

Wanted to provide you with my experience with AMEX Platinum while traveling to Spain with my wife and kid.

1. Meals and drinks were provided by Delta airline, did not use the $200 credit from San Diego to JFK or JFK to Madrid.
  2. We packed well, therefore, we didn’t need/use the $200 credit towards baggage fees.
  3. Did use$8 for a Jack and Coke from Malaga Spain to JFK. Nothing from JFK to San Diego.
  4. Did use the Airspace Lounge in San Diego before leaving. I was also given a $30 card credit to use next time towards premium food/drinks, had to show my AMEX Platinum. We also used the lounges in JFK and Malaga Spain by showing our priority pass and tickets.
  5. JFK customs was packed, and I mean packed!!! But only took us about 45 minutes to get through the line, the machines to scan the passports was easy. Did not use Global entry.
  6. 6 restaurants and 2 mini markets did not accept AMEX, had to pull my CSP.
  7. Water park accepted AMEX but card was declined, what!? Pull my CSP again. After entering into the water park, I get an alert on my AMEX app to confirm a charge that I tried to do. I confirmed that It was me and the message said: “thanks, try again, should be good to go”…TOO LATE, already paid with my CSP.
  8. Took my 8 year old zip lining…no AMEX accepted.
  9. Only one restaurant in the resort took AMEX.

I felt small and stupid by all the denials from restaurants, stores and other business. Such a prestige card…but, can’t use it.  I know AMEX is not accepted everywhere, but dang, really!!

I only upgraded to the Platinum because I was given the offer to get 60k MRs after $5k spent. I hate that I could not use it in Spain at restaurants to meet the spending.  I could still meet the spending now that I’m back in San Diego, but I feel let down.  I DO NOT want it lol, and I don’t want to downgrade to PRG either as I will be using my AMEX Blue Preferred for gas and groceries and CSP for restaurants/uber. For Uber, just by adding my CSP to Uber and dining at restaurants they contract with, I get points towards Uber credits/rides.  Don’t see the need to keep it.

If you were in my shoes right now, would you close it? And maybe get the CSR? The annual fee will be added to my account in October 17th then due on November 17th.  Screw the 60K MRs, I’m very disappointed!

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
SeanTii

Re: AMEX Platinum experience in Spain

Wow that would have pissed me off to no end. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Amex Plat. I just got my CSR and was planning on picking up the Amex Platinum next, but now this experience is giving me second thoughts.

Message 2 of 45
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

That's a bummer man. The platinum would be useless for me, i dont travel enough for a any of the perks and would never earn enough rewards only being able to get points on airlines and hotels.

Message 3 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

Wanted to provide you with my experience with AMEX Platinum while traveling to Spain with my wife and kid.

1. Meals and drinks were provided by Delta airline, did not use the $200 credit from San Diego to JFK or JFK to Madrid.
  2. We packed well, therefore, we didn’t need/use the $200 credit towards baggage fees.
  3. Did use$8 for a Jack and Coke from Malaga Spain to JFK. Nothing from JFK to San Diego.
  4. Did use the Airspace Lounge in San Diego before leaving. I was also given a $30 card credit to use next time towards premium food/drinks, had to show my AMEX Platinum. We also used the lounges in JFK and Malaga Spain by showing our priority pass and tickets.
  5. JFK customs was packed, and I mean packed!!! But only took us about 45 minutes to get through the line, the machines to scan the passports was easy. Did not use Global entry.
  7. Water park accepted AMEX but card was declined, what!? Pull my CSP again. After entering into the water park, I get an alert on my AMEX app to confirm a charge that I tried to do. I confirmed that It was me and the message said: “thanks, try again, should be good to go”…TOO LATE, already paid with my CSP.

I felt small and stupid by all the denials from restaurants, stores and other business. Such a prestige card…but, can’t use it.  I know AMEX is not accepted everywhere, but dang, really!!

I only upgraded to the Platinum because I was given the offer to get 60k MRs after $5k spent. I hate that I could not use it in Spain at restaurants to meet the spending.  I could still meet the spending now that I’m back in San Diego, but I feel let down.  I DO NOT want it lol, and I don’t want to downgrade to PRG either as I will be using my AMEX Blue Preferred for gas and groceries and CSP for restaurants/uber. For Uber, just by adding my CSP to Uber and dining at restaurants they contract with, I get points towards Uber credits/rides.  Don’t see the need to keep it.

If you were in my shoes right now, would you close it? And maybe get the CSR? The annual fee will be added to my account in October 17th then due on November 17th.  Screw the 60K MRs, I’m very disappointed!

Thanks for the detailed points.  I have two thoughts.  Is Amex really to blame when businesses do not accept their cards?  Maybe but sometimes I wonder if some of the blame shouldn't be put on the businesses themselves.  While I understand their concerns about fees but often think that maybe they are costing themselves more in terms of lost business.  Anwyas, more just thinking out loud than anything else.

As for cancelling the card.  I wouldn't do that after getting the 60K MR points.  Amex thru recent announcements is closing looking at consumers that accept offers or apply for new cards and get the points and then cancel to avoid the AF.  They have even stated that they will resort to shutting your entire Amex account if they detect 'abuse'.  Either just not meet the spend and move on or get the points and pay the AF and thencancel before next AF comes up (this is the option that I would choose).

Message 4 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SeanTii wrote:

Wow that would have pissed me off to no end. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Amex Plat. I just got my CSR and was planning on picking up the Amex Platinum next, but now this experience is giving me second thoughts.

I had no words to even speak.  I was so mad after the third denial.

Message 5 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gregory1776 wrote:

That's a bummer man. The platinum would be useless for me, i dont travel enough for a any of the perks and would never earn enough rewards only being able to get points on airlines and hotels.

We are not crazy travelers, but we do take an international trip and two small ones in the U.S. every year.  I figured since we were going out of town, why not upgrade, use the card, use the lounges for free snacks etc, and get the 60K points.  My interest in AMEX just keeps decreasing.

Message 6 of 45
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, Amex tends to be OK in business centers, but more touristy spots it can be ... spotty. I remember when Diners Club was the most widely accepted card in Israel (now it's Visa). Your story definitely supports my mode of travel - always travel with multiple cards from multiple issuers over multiple networks, just in case. 

Message 7 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for the detailed points.  I have two thoughts.  Is Amex really to blame when businesses do not accept their cards?  Maybe but sometimes I wonder if some of the blame shouldn't be put on the businesses themselves.  While I understand their concerns about fees but often think that maybe they are costing themselves more in terms of lost business.  Anwyas, more just thinking out loud than anything else.

As for cancelling the card.  I wouldn't do that after getting the 60K MR points.  Amex thru recent announcements is closing looking at consumers that accept offers or apply for new cards and get the points and then cancel to avoid the AF.  They have even stated that they will resort to shutting your entire Amex account if they detect 'abuse'.  Either just not meet the spend and move on or get the points and pay the AF and thencancel before next AF comes up (this is the option that I would choose).

I do agree with you, BUT, AMEX should spend more of their money then try to acquie more business around the world.  IF i have a prestige travel card as this, i should be able to use it.  The AMEX Supervisor i spoke to while in Sevilla Spain (another place they didnt take AMEX), told me to give her the information of the places i visited so that AMEX can contact them and try to get their business...I'm sorry, but that is not my job to do "i told her".

I was thinking more on the screw the 60k MRs and move on...at the bottom of my post :-) I am aware of the new policy.

Message 8 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MJ-san wrote:

Yeah, Amex tends to be OK in business centers, but more touristy spots it can be ... spotty. I remember when Diners Club was the most widely accepted card in Israel (now it's Visa). Your story definitely supports my mode of travel - always travel with multiple cards from multiple issuers over multiple networks, just in case. 

Oh yes!! I always take my CSP, Venture and Barclay.

Message 9 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

I do agree with you, BUT, AMEX should spend more of their money then try to acquie more business around the world.  IF i have a prestige travel card as this, i should be able to use it.  The AMEX Supervisor i spoke to while in Sevilla Spain (another place they didnt take AMEX), told me to give her the information of the places i visited so that AMEX can contact them and try to get their business...I'm sorry, but that is not my job to do "i told her".

I was thinking more on the screw the 60k MRs and move on...at the bottom of my post :-) I am aware of the new policy.

They charge more per transaction and higher percentage than other cards.  They aren't going to pay someone to take their card.  They are highly profitable.  As for you not using your travel credit just get an airline gift card like everyone else.  Then you can use it towards airfare if you want.  Or just give someone a gift card if you don't want them.  I am not sure why you didn't use Global Entry as 45 minutes is a very long wait.  I try to frequent airports with short customs lines though.  

I don't find too much about the Platinum valuable other than the 400 travel credit the first year and the sign up points.   And really their points are overrated for value by the all the churning sites. I am sure those sites get a lot of money from Amex.  And their points take forever to post.  If you live in a Delta hub it makes sense to have an Amex MR earning card otherwise there are better options.  

Did you let Amex know you were traveling to Spain before you left?  Amex is accepted most places in the US.  Any place that business travelers frequent is going to accept American Express.  I would say Amex customer service is better than anyone else but if that doesn't concern you.  

Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.