Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Platinum experience in Spain

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

Wanted to provide you with my experience with AMEX Platinum while traveling to Spain with my wife and kid.

1. Meals and drinks were provided by Delta airline, did not use the $200 credit from San Diego to JFK or JFK to Madrid.
  2. We packed well, therefore, we didn’t need/use the $200 credit towards baggage fees.
  3. Did use$8 for a Jack and Coke from Malaga Spain to JFK. Nothing from JFK to San Diego.
  4. Did use the Airspace Lounge in San Diego before leaving. I was also given a $30 card credit to use next time towards premium food/drinks, had to show my AMEX Platinum. We also used the lounges in JFK and Malaga Spain by showing our priority pass and tickets.
  5. JFK customs was packed, and I mean packed!!! But only took us about 45 minutes to get through the line, the machines to scan the passports was easy. Did not use Global entry.
  6. 6 restaurants and 2 mini markets did not accept AMEX, had to pull my CSP.
  7. Water park accepted AMEX but card was declined, what!? Pull my CSP again. After entering into the water park, I get an alert on my AMEX app to confirm a charge that I tried to do. I confirmed that It was me and the message said: “thanks, try again, should be good to go”…TOO LATE, already paid with my CSP.
  8. Took my 8 year old zip lining…no AMEX accepted.
  9. Only one restaurant in the resort took AMEX.

I felt small and stupid by all the denials from restaurants, stores and other business. Such a prestige card…but, can’t use it.  I know AMEX is not accepted everywhere, but dang, really!!

I only upgraded to the Platinum because I was given the offer to get 60k MRs after $5k spent. I hate that I could not use it in Spain at restaurants to meet the spending.  I could still meet the spending now that I’m back in San Diego, but I feel let down.  I DO NOT want it lol, and I don’t want to downgrade to PRG either as I will be using my AMEX Blue Preferred for gas and groceries and CSP for restaurants/uber. For Uber, just by adding my CSP to Uber and dining at restaurants they contract with, I get points towards Uber credits/rides.  Don’t see the need to keep it.

If you were in my shoes right now, would you close it? And maybe get the CSR? The annual fee will be added to my account in October 17th then due on November 17th.  Screw the 60K MRs, I’m very disappointed!

Thanks for the detailed points.  I have two thoughts.  Is Amex really to blame when businesses do not accept their cards?  Maybe but sometimes I wonder if some of the blame shouldn't be put on the businesses themselves.  While I understand their concerns about fees but often think that maybe they are costing themselves more in terms of lost business.  Anwyas, more just thinking out loud than anything else.

As for cancelling the card.  I wouldn't do that after getting the 60K MR points.  Amex thru recent announcements is closing looking at consumers that accept offers or apply for new cards and get the points and then cancel to avoid the AF.  They have even stated that they will resort to shutting your entire Amex account if they detect 'abuse'.  Either just not meet the spend and move on or get the points and pay the AF and thencancel before next AF comes up (this is the option that I would choose).

I do agree with you, BUT, AMEX should spend more of their money then try to acquie more business around the world.  IF i have a prestige travel card as this, i should be able to use it.  The AMEX Supervisor i spoke to while in Sevilla Spain (another place they didnt take AMEX), told me to give her the information of the places i visited so that AMEX can contact them and try to get their business...I'm sorry, but that is not my job to do "i told her".

I was thinking more on the screw the 60k MRs and move on...at the bottom of my post :-) I am aware of the new policy.

As for you not using your travel credit just get an airline gift card like everyone else. I thought about this, but if i purchase the $200 in Delta gift cards then cancel, would't they get suspicious and try to charge me for them? I did this before when i had Platinum before, i still have the $200 in gift cards that i will mostly likely use next year.  Not sure how long before they expire. 

I am not sure why you didn't use Global Entry as 45 minutes is a very long wait. Because it takes months to get this and the offer to upgrade to Platinum came a few weeks before leaving.   

If you live in a Delta hub it makes sense to have an Amex MR earning card otherwise there are better options.  I do, I'm in San Diego.

Did you let Amex know you were traveling to Spain before you left?  i did let them know, they said i didnt have to notify them.

Amex is accepted most places in the US.  Any place that business travelers frequent is going to accept American Express.  I would say Amex customer service is better than anyone else but if that doesn't concern you.  I do like their customer service!

Message 11 of 45
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
For Uber, just by adding my CSP to Uber and dining at restaurants they contract with, I get points towards Uber credits/rides.  Don’t see the need to keep it.

Can someone direct me to more info about this? Is this Rewards Network or something else?

You might use this material to get a nice retention offer in a few months.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
For Uber, just by adding my CSP to Uber and dining at restaurants they contract with, I get points towards Uber credits/rides.  Don’t see the need to keep it.

Can someone direct me to more info about this? Is this Rewards Network or something else?

1. Open your Uber app

2.Go to the Menu

3. Select "Payment"

4. Under Promotions, select "payment rewards" -> i currently have two AMEX Platinum and Shop or Dine out, get Uber credits back.

5. Select "Shop or Dine out, get Uber credits back"

Use your Visa card next time you dine out or go ona shopping spree at a featured store and earn Uber credits towards future rides.  To join, go to settings in yoru Uber app and tap on Visa Local Offers.

Message 13 of 45
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I cancelled two Amex cards in the last 18 months, and one of the reasons was their lack of acceptance in Europe.  Instead of calling their offerings "travel cards," Amex should call them "domestic travel cards."

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 14 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I cancelled two Amex cards in the last 18 months, and one of the reasons was their lack of acceptance in Europe.  Instead of calling their offerings "travel cards," Amex should call them "domestic travel cards."

LOL..what do you use now for travel? I only have Venture, Barclay and CSP.

Message 15 of 45
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I use my Chase United Explorer for airfare (2x miles plus perks), my Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x points) for hotels and rail travel, and my UNFCU (true chip+PIN) for restaurants, tourist attractions, subway fares, and gift shops.  All three cards are Visa, and they are always accepted.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 16 of 45
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Open your Uber app

2.Go to the Menu

3. Select "Payment"

4. Under Promotions, select "payment rewards" -> i currently have two AMEX Platinum and Shop or Dine out, get Uber credits back.

Use your Visa card next time you dine out or go ona shopping spree at a featured store and earn Uber credits towards future rides.  To join, go to settings in yoru Uber app and tap on Visa Local Offers.

Done. Thanks!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 17 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Open your Uber app

2.Go to the Menu

3. Select "Payment"

Done. Thanks!

Sure thing!!

Message 18 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I use my Chase United Explorer for airfare (2x miles plus perks), my Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x points) for hotels and rail travel, and my UNFCU (true chip+PIN) for restaurants, tourist attractions, subway fares, and gift shops.  All three cards are Visa, and they are always accepted.

I was thinking CSP for restaurants and Uber, then Venture for travel and bills -> would need to upgrade to Venture

or

CSP with Barclay -> Would have to upgrade to arrival plus

My CSP is only $5k and to upgrade to CSR will take 18 months due to the 5/24 rule...plus needing another $5k to make it $10k.  With Venture, i lease i know i can charge travel then credit it with the points.  Barclay, i would get 5% miles back.

Message 19 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Open your Uber app

2.Go to the Menu

3. Select "Payment"

Done. Thanks!

Just remember that this is just like any of the dining programs like American and United Airlines, along with others,  have to earn miles, etc.  They are all managed by one company and once you add a card to one program it will be removed from a different account that you might have reigstered with.

Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.