Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum is going to suck in 2014

tag
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum is going to suck in 2014

Did anyone else get offered a $500 statement credit for purchasing an Admirals Club membership?

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 11 of 19
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

I got 500$ offer.

Message 12 of 19
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

I would rather AMEX up the annual fee rather than water-down the benefits.

Guess I will NOT apply for it anytime in the near future.

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 13 of 19
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@GaTech wrote:

I would rather AMEX up the annual fee rather than water-down the benefits.

Guess I will NOT apply for it anytime in the near future.

I dont think it is AMEX doing it, I think it is the airlines themselves that want exclusivity to THEIR CC benefits......

Message 14 of 19
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Where did Amex say the Admirals Lounges are going? I haven't had anything yet from them telling me this.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 15 of 19
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

Where did Amex say the Admirals Lounges are going? I haven't had anything yet from them telling me this.

Not everyone has gotten an e-mail yet.  I'm still waiting on mine.  Citi issued a press release saying that Executive AAdvantage card will be the only card to offer lounge access as of March 2014.   

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 19
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

For those bailing on AMEX over this move just flock to Citi. No doubt a new premium card for AA is in the works, or an existing product will be upgraded for lounge access. In reality the Citi product will be an inferior product as it won't offer the Hilton or SPG perks among other benefits. It will also be a credit card and although Citi seems to be pretty loose with credit limits nothing beats the Platinum for crazy spends when needed. The Centurion Lounges rock so I will be quite happy if they spread to many of the airports I visit frequently. 

I have a couple AA Citi cards but to be honest I just got them for the signup bonuses to stock up on miles for positioning on reward flights on other airlines. Same with the US Airways cards and miles. I don't visit AA lounges often so no ill effects on this merger issue.  

Message 17 of 19
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

If you don't mind a little trickery then you can still get some perks

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthewing/2013/12/04/trick-may-allow-american-express-platinum-get-us-...

Message 18 of 19
Settemio
Regular Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

Did anyone else get offered a $500 statement credit for purchasing an Admirals Club membership?

I didnt get a 500, only 200...

Special Offer: Up to $200 in Statement Credits

We recognize the inconvenience this may cause you as someone who travels frequently, so we have included you in a special offer. You will receive up to $200 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014.1 You can use these credits toward:

I will be changing my card from Plat to Gold... What a waiste... My home Airport is DFW, so the only reason I got the plat card was for this reward... and some others of course, but this paid for the AF...

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.