Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum might raise annual fee & changes to Centurion lounge access

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum might raise annual fee

Fun fact a few days ago it was announced that they are going to stop sending out physical copies of the Departures magazine. It will be a digital publication going forward.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 41 of 136
NoHardLimits
Frequent Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Fun fact a few days ago it was announced that they are going to stop sending out physical copies of the Departures magazine. It will be a digital publication going forward.

And there was much rejoicing!

March 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 11 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 1/12, 2/24 | Util: 2% | DTI: 1%
Message 42 of 136
red259
Super Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

@red259 wrote:

And there was much rejoicing!

Watch they will send us a 20 lb physical goodbye edition. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 43 of 136
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Yeah, the Departures mag is not for everyone. But that doesn't negate my observation: Lifestyle perspective is a part of Platinum. Not so much with Gold. The bulk of Platinum cardholders are interested in the lifestyle aspects.  

That's as may be, but I am still exceedingly skeptical that they'll purge the Platinum from a lot of the good travel benefits that it has to turn it into a "lifestyle" card. We're not going to be inside hiding from coronavirus forever; we're already seeing travel rebound significantly. A lot of Platinum's use case is centered around travel benefits; hotel status, lounge access, freebies on the FHR travel portal.

Seems to me the Gold is the one that's being stripped of the travel benefits: it lost the $100 airline fee credit next year, all it gives now going forward for travel is 3x flights, the same car rental insurance/trip interruption insurance as Green and a watered down version of FHR. It is arguable that Green is the better overall travel card at this point than Gold (basically you trade 1x in dining for a much wider "travel" vs. "just flights" category and more specific travel related credits).

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 44 of 136
NRB525
Super Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Yeah, the Departures mag is not for everyone. But that doesn't negate my observation: Lifestyle perspective is a part of Platinum. Not so much with Gold. The bulk of Platinum cardholders are interested in the lifestyle aspects.  

That's as may be, but I am still exceedingly skeptical that they'll purge the Platinum from a lot of the good travel benefits that it has to turn it into a "lifestyle" card. We're not going to be inside hiding from coronavirus forever; we're already seeing travel rebound significantly. A lot of Platinum's use case is centered around travel benefits; hotel status, lounge access, freebies on the FHR travel portal.

Seems to me the Gold is the one that's being stripped of the travel benefits: it lost the $100 airline fee credit next year, all it gives now going forward for travel is 3x flights, the same car rental insurance/trip interruption insurance as Green and a watered down version of FHR. It is arguable that Green is the better overall travel card at this point than Gold (basically you trade 1x in dining for a much wider "travel" vs. "just flights" category and more specific travel related credits).

Definitions of Lifestyle are difficult to pin down Smiley Happy

The travel aspects can enhance "lifestyle". If it seemed I was implying the travel benefits of the Platinum might be cut, sorry, no, I don't expect them to cut.  

We will have to wait and see how AMEX updates the Platinum. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 45 of 136
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

AmEx makes changes to Centurion lounge access Feb 2023

Being reported at several websites that beginning Feb 2023 AmEx Platinum card holders will no longer be allowed 2 free guests in Centurion lounges.  Guests will be $50 per person unless a card holder spends $75k per year on their platinum card.  
https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/terms/

This along with the rumored increased annual fee sounds like AmEx is positioning the platinum card to be more exclusive...

US Bank Altitude Reserve, Delta Gold Am Ex, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Navy Federal Flagship, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier
Message 46 of 136
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: AmEx makes changes to Centurion lounge access Feb 2023

It seems like it is being reported by several websites that there is a rumor from a commenter on a post about another rumor on DoC?  I don't see any changes in the Amex terms you linked other than additional guests beyond the current allowance.

Edit: I see DoC has two different rumor articles going on.  The more recent one in the list concerning overall changes points to the rumor from a commenter. Then there is another one showing a screenshot where this was added to the terms but has since been removed:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-will-no-longer-offer-free-guest-access-to-centurion-...

If it turns out to be true and they make it similar to the current Delta Reserve policy, that doesn't seem like much of an incentive to put $75k of spend on the card.

Message 47 of 136
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

It seems like it is being reported by several websites that there is a rumor from a commenter on a post about another rumor on DoC?  I don't see any changes in the Amex terms you linked other than additional guests beyond the current allowance.

The terms were changed last night in the document I posted.  They apparently have removed that language now. 

Here is a copy of the wording that was there:

US Bank Altitude Reserve, Delta Gold Am Ex, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Navy Federal Flagship, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier
Message 48 of 136
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yep, I was just editing my post above to add that in.  Hopefully not something that is changed.  😐

Message 49 of 136
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

If this happens: NOT good.

Increasing AF and restricting guests to the Centurion Lounge is huge mistake.

I shall be downgrading if that happens.

Message 50 of 136
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.