Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum might raise annual fee & changes to Centurion lounge access

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Platinum might raise annual fee & changes to Centurion lounge acces

I've been checking here non-stop in hopes this is true.  The streaming credit would be huge.  I have the BCP right now for streaming but could hopefully PC that into a no annual fee card if the streaming credit is accurate.

I, too, have the CS version of plat and the + Gold +Amex Everyday would be a really solid combo even with the nerf to CS cash out of MR points.

Message 121 of 136
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

I agree if rumors are true then the changes are imminent. I am okay with a fee increase as well, if for no reason, than to make the Centurion lounges less packed. Personally I would have rather seen them create another product between Plat and Centurion card since this is such a large increase and they increased it not that long ago. 

I just hope we don't see anything ridiculous like an Equinox credit. 

Message 122 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GatorGuy wrote:

I agree if rumors are true then the changes are imminent. I am okay with a few increase as well if for no reason than to make the Centurion lounges less packed. Personally I would have rather seen them create another product between Plat and Centurion card since this is such a large increase and they increased it not that long ago. 

Agreed, the Equinox credit is a big dud. If the other credits are true though I can stomach that dumb Equinox credit. I would love to see a gas multiplier added, but I am just getting greedy now ha.

Message 123 of 136
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Plat 11th hour....

@Anonymous wrote:

*IF* the rumors are true about the annual fee going up to $695 a year starting quarter 3,  we should know in the next 24-36 hours. I think I may be in the minority but I hope the rumors are true. The streamimg credit and the hotel credit in my use case would effectivily make the Plat a $255 a year card. I also canceled Apple Care on my wife, daughter and my phones and use the protection provided from the Plat card now, that is a total savings of $324 a year, in my mind now basically making the Plat a "no annual fee card". This is not factoring the Uber credit either which we use monthly. I have the CS Platinum and even if the devaluation of points occur, coupled with the gold card it is a good set up for me. Im curious if others are looking forward to the rumored fee increase and new credits, or would it be a deal breaker for you. We should know soon....

I do not count the cell phone insurance on the Platinum as a benefit since several free cards also offer it.  

US Bank Altitude Reserve, Delta Gold Am Ex, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Navy Federal Flagship, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier
Message 124 of 136
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

@GatorGuy wrote:

I agree if rumors are true then the changes are imminent. I am okay with a fee increase as well, if for no reason, than to make the Centurion lounges less packed. Personally I would have rather seen them create another product between Plat and Centurion card since this is such a large increase and they increased it not that long ago. 

Agree with the increased plat AF considering I do get a lot of value now that the pandemic has eased and we are travelling for the first time...

Centurion lounges are still a big mystery for me - have not gone to any of them since membership years ago.

Also agree on an Equinox credit - I don't have any need to go to a gym....

Message 125 of 136
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

The changes being discussed don't sound great to me. For instance, on streaming, I have BCP for that as well as groceries. I could downgrade it to BCE, but I'd lose on groceries. Is magazine subscriptions a joke? If not, it should be. Equinox has no value to me. Hoping the rumors are off this time.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 126 of 136
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

It is happening ...

Debating if I want DH to sacrifice a 5/24 slot for 125K ... Smiley Frustrated

Message 127 of 136
EvilR-T
Frequent Contributor

I obtained the vanilla 4 months ago and got the 100k sub. I was so close to getting the Schwab version and cashing out almost 500000 mr points at 1.25. First the rate will fall by .15 and now the AFs will pop by $150. This really sucks. 

Message 128 of 136
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Good to know, thanks for posting @FieryDance! Might be worth its own thread....

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 129 of 136
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@LadyJEsq wrote:

Good to know, thanks for posting @FieryDance! Might be worth its own thread....

I'd just keep it here.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 130 of 136
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.