Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum might raise annual fee & changes to Centurion lounge access

tag
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum might raise annual fee

@IgnatiusReilly wrote:

This is, in my opinion, a great take.  If I traveled more I would absolutely get the card, but my CSR works for me, for now.  I do understand raising the fees to thin the herd but I think it eliminates the possiblity of an in-between card.  What would "Titanium" offer that so exceeded Platinum it would be worth the (pulls number out of thin air) $1,495 annual fee?  

I think any new cards above plat should be named after radioactive elements. Who wouldn't want a plutonium card? Or maybe just good old Uranium.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 111 of 136
IgnatiusReilly
Regular Contributor

The Promethium Card.... only from American Express.

Message 112 of 136
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

A8BA116C-EF17-40C4-94B8-E88ED40D3FC3.gif

Please and thank you.

Message 113 of 136
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum AF likely to increase to $695 starting Q3, 2021

@Loquat wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

I see that move backfiring in spectacular fashion, no matter how well they think they know their target.

Very few will get true value from the perks to offset AF.

One would think but every time Amex made a move that I thought would deter folks it didn't.  Just my opinion but I think that while the card has benefits and features that lots of folks enjoy, I also think there is a perceived prestige associated with the card as well.  And normally I would say that aesthetics and cool factor has no value but clearly I'd be wrong as it relates to the Platinum card.  

Read enough travel blogs and you will read of how many people that get excited simply because of the weight of card.  I often tease that if Credit One would issue a card that weighs as much as the old Ritz card that some folks would happily pay an annual fee just to have it. 

Updated DoC note on 13 June has the AFgoing to only $695, but adding $240 magazines credit, $179 Clear credit ( a $100 credit for really any airline FF members ) and other items. 

I think this is a solid set of benefits and will grow the Platinum membership.  The wide range of travel benefits is not directly replaced by another card.  Yes, general earning spend is not as well rewarded with points, but the broader group of cardholders is unlikely to parse the points on a pack of gum.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 114 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

I see that move backfiring in spectacular fashion, no matter how well they think they know their target.

Very few will get true value from the perks to offset AF.

One would think but every time Amex made a move that I thought would deter folks it didn't.  Just my opinion but I think that while the card has benefits and features that lots of folks enjoy, I also think there is a perceived prestige associated with the card as well.  And normally I would say that aesthetics and cool factor has no value but clearly I'd be wrong as it relates to the Platinum card.  

Read enough travel blogs and you will read of how many people that get excited simply because of the weight of card.  I often tease that if Credit One would issue a card that weighs as much as the old Ritz card that some folks would happily pay an annual fee just to have it. 

Updated DoC note on 13 June has the AFgoing to only $695, but adding $240 magazines credit, $179 Clear credit ( a $100 credit for really any airline FF members ) and other items. 

I think this is a solid set of benefits and will grow the Platinum membership.  The wide range of travel benefits is not directly replaced by another card.  Yes, general earning spend is not as well rewarded with points, but the broader group of cardholders is unlikely to parse the points on a pack of gum.  

no se puede, I can see I am not the target, magazine credit? clear credit? lol. Lets hope they don't boost Gold AF too, coz I will axe it if that happens.

Message 115 of 136
digitek
Established Contributor

This card is a hot mess LOL.

I really don't like this trend of issuers offering credits for specific brands to offset AF's. The issuer definitely makes off better in the deal.

Message 116 of 136
imastarboy
Established Member

Honestly I would have to see what the final roll out offers in terms of benefits but an Equinox credit is not at all appealing to me and especially not this rumored "magazine credit."

Current:

Goal:

Message 117 of 136
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

All I want to know is how this will affect the cobrand Plat's. Plus, the rumors don't look too promising and these credits are getting even more convoluted.
Message 118 of 136
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@icednightpaper wrote:
All I want to know is how this will affect the cobrand Plat's. Plus, the rumors don't look too promising and these credits are getting even more convoluted.

More than likely the impacts will cascade to the Platinum partner cards, as far as AF hike, perks and whatnot.  This pretty much happened with Schwab and MS when the standard Platinum's 'refreshed' changes went into effect a while back.

Message 119 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Plat 11th hour....

*IF* the rumors are true about the annual fee going up to $695 a year starting quarter 3,  we should know in the next 24-36 hours. I think I may be in the minority but I hope the rumors are true. The streamimg credit and the hotel credit in my use case would effectivily make the Plat a $255 a year card. I also canceled Apple Care on my wife, daughter and my phones and use the protection provided from the Plat card now, that is a total savings of $324 a year, in my mind now basically making the Plat a "no annual fee card". This is not factoring the Uber credit either which we use monthly. I have the CS Platinum and even if the devaluation of points occur, coupled with the gold card it is a good set up for me. Im curious if others are looking forward to the rumored fee increase and new credits, or would it be a deal breaker for you. We should know soon....

Message 120 of 136
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.