Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum offer, should i ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Platinum offer, should i ?

Hi Guys,

Called AMEX last night and when done the CSR told me that i have two offers, the Platinum and the Gold (Not the PRG) cards, that if i want to go ahead there will be no HP because was an offer attached to my account, so i really don't need it (450 AF) but the perks are good, should i go and get it or just look the other way?, 

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Platinum offer, should i ?

Only you can make that call. You can get the same or better rewards on almost any travel or rewards card and the annual fee eventually eats up any sign on bonus over time.. so, you need to look at the rewards and determine if the perks are worth the annual fee.. $200 airline fee credit, gold status at Hilton and SPG, priority pass and centurion lounges, global entry reimbursement, etc.. If you travel often, it may be a great fit... if not, probably not so much.
Message 2 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Be aware that Amex does send out targeted offers to upgrade cards. If you're going to PC, it may be worth it to wait until you can earn a few extra MRs (but offers generally with a minimum spend requirement).

I have Platinum and I plan to keep it. The AF is higher, but I make good use of the perks. I think the regular Gold is a joke. It's a big AF for nothing of much value. If perks are important, it's better to pay more for serious ones.

Most of my spending goes on cards with better rewards, so the Platinum 1x MR earn rate doesn't really bother me.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm waiting for a 100K Platinum offer before I pull the trigger. I recommend you do the same OP.
Message 4 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm waiting for a 100K Platinum offer before I pull the trigger. I recommend you do the same OP.

Or, if you app for a new account, consider a cobrand Platinum like I did. You get access to the same perks and maintain eligibility for a great offer on the proprietary Platinum in the future.

And keep in mind that getting value from cards isn't always about getting the best bonus. In some cases, getting a card now with a mediocre bonus can be wise if you'll be making heavy use of the perks between now and the time the better bonus returns.

Message 5 of 13
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

IMO if you are willing and justified in paying a $450 a year AF, there are better cards out there than the AmEx platinum. This used to be the gold standard (platinum standard?) of high end travel or business cards, not so much anymore.  

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/How-Chase-Made-the-Perfect-High-for-Credit-Card-J...

Message 6 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

IMO if you are willing and justified in paying a $450 a year AF, there are better cards out there than the AmEx platinum. This used to be the gold standard (platinum standard?) of high end travel or business cards, not so much anymore.  

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/How-Chase-Made-the-Perfect-High-for-Credit-Card-J...

Or both. Platinum for perks, CSR for the bonus and rewards.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the point here is that i will get the card without HP, for sure there are cards better than this but i would need to apply and add another HP to my file and really i don't want to do that, i think i will follow 12velectronics advise, i will wait for the 100k offer and if i still have the offer attached i will definitely get it, i'll wait perhaps the offer comes out before the end of the year, who knows lol.

Thank you guys, as always you all rock
Message 8 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well the point here is that i will get the card without HP, for sure there are cards better than this but i would need to apply and add another HP to my file and really i don't want to do that, i think i will follow 12velectronics advise, i will wait for the 100k offer and if i still have the offer attached i will definitely get it, i'll wait perhaps the offer comes out before the end of the year, who knows lol.

I'm pretty sure that the two things will be separate: there is the 100KMR offer for applying, and what you have for upgrading (did they mention bonus MRs?)   I don't think you will get 100K MR for doing a PC.

If the card sounds attractive, a single HP shouldn't be much of a block.  But your call.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the two things will be separate: there is the 100KMR offer for applying, and what you have for upgrading (did they mention bonus MRs?)   I don't think you will get 100K MR for doing a PC.

If the card sounds attractive, a single HP shouldn't be much of a block.  But your call.

Let me explain, this is not a PC, this is an offer, the lady told me, you don't have/need to apply, both cards offers are attached to your account so if you are interested we can send it to you in 24h, i asked her 100+ times, will this be a HP?  and 100+ times she said no, there will not be a credit pull, that is an offer attached to you, and yes i asked her about the bonus and she confirmed me that will be 40K, the current bonus offer for the card right now, didn't ask about the 100K though.

I never heard of this before but that was what she said, i recorded the phone call (always do with CC companies) and there it is, offer and no HP very clear.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.