Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Pre-Qualify showing 3 offers? Odd

tag
Butchhtown
Established Member

AMEX Pre-Qualify showing 3 offers? Odd

Hey guys. I'm at a 660 ish score. I decided to try and pre qualify for an Amex since it's a goal card. 

anyway, to my suprise I have 3 offers? Delta Gold, Amex Platinum, and Delta Platinum. All with nice subs. 

first question is how reliable is the Amex pre qualifier?

second question, I'm not interested in any of these cards really I just want into Amex possibly green or gold or like a blue cash. Is there a way I can maybe see more offers that I'm missing? 

third question. If im pre qualified for a platinum, wouldn't that suggest I can get a green or a gold? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Pre-Qualify showing 3 offers? Odd

The underwriting for Platinum, Gold, and Green are quite similar, since all are charge cards with dynamic spend limits that AMEX quietly adjusts for each card. 

Others here keep closer track of the various bank prequalified meanings, but I'd guess you would get a Green or Gold. 

The Delta cards are often easier underwriting standards also, but the typical starting limit is $1k or $2k. That's not bad, since it gets you started with an AMEX revolver, and the AMEX limits are the easiest to grow over time. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 5
Trini88
Established Contributor

When I prequalified they showed me only 3, Platinum, Cash Magnet and Blue Cash Everyday. When I clicked the button on the left, I believe it says view all cards, I saw I was also prequalified for the Gold and Blue Cash Preferred. I applied for the BCP and I was approved. I think the prequalify is solid because they prequalified me even though I already had 13 inquiries and had 6 credit cards in the past 6 months with 4 reporting.

Goal Cards:
Message 3 of 5
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Echoing the other posts. Their UW standards are thought to be easiest for their co-branded cards, followed by their charge cards, then finally their core cards. In theory it would be easier to be approved for the Green/Gold than it would for BCP/BCE. That said, don't apply for a card just because it's an easier target! Take your time and build up your profile for an approval for a card that fits your spend. You'll thank yourself in the long run. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 4 of 5
Butchhtown
Established Member

You're right. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to wait until I get the Amex I want. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.