Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Prepaid to Convert Charge Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Prepaid to Convert Charge Card - More Info

@Revelate wrote:

So on your shiny Amex platium, what's your original date on the account: pre-paid card opening, or 7/11? Smiley Happy

Unfortunatly it's 7/11

Message 21 of 38
CS800
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

So on your shiny Amex platium, what's your original date on the account: pre-paid card opening, or 7/11? Smiley Happy

smarty pants

Message 22 of 38
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

smarty pants

People should use that more often. My girls always roll their eyes when hearing it used. Can't tell if they're embarrassed at or for me, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 38
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CS800 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

smarty pants

Bah! Smiley Happy

My post aside, I was secretly hoping that Amex would backdate it... if they did, I was going to go open one, well, before I even typed a: "Dude, sweet! Thanks!" message here.  Alas, back to the Zync plan.

        
Message 24 of 38
quest208
Frequent Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

smarty pants

People should use that more often. My girls always roll their eyes when hearing it used. Can't tell if they're embarrassed at or for me, LOL!

you must be a smarty pants Smiley Very Happy

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 25 of 38
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I applied for the prepaid card last week and I got an email stating it was in the mail today. They wanted my SSN so I think they will probably SP my CR before offering an invitation for the charge card.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 26 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Prepaid to Convert Charge Card

I signed up for the prepaid card months ago when they had a load $25, get $25 for free promo going on for it.  Used the card once, just to get the funds off of it.

While it might help get a foot in the door with Amex, I'd rather just use my credit cards. Loading money onto a prepaid card and using that to pay for things is just as bad as using a debit card, in my opinion. And it took days for them to credit the transfer onto my account when I first loaded it - and that was loading it off an American express savings account.

I guess it might be great for some people, but in my opinion it's going to be way too much trouble to be worth it. I doubt they'll invite you to apply unless you push a lot of charges through the card, and I just don't want the hassle of using a prepaid card now that I have credit cards.

But at least there's SOME small benefit to using it, so I can't be entirely negative.

Message 27 of 38
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Well, as part of my life's mission to get an AMEX charge card w/ my BK still reporting, I decided to go ahead and get one of these.

The plan is to fund it w/ $500 or so every month and use it for things I would normaly use my debit card for.  It's no sweat off my back to fund it every month (I may even set up auto funding).  The goal is a Zync, which I will backdate to 1993 when I had my AMEX Green in college (I didn't burn them, just closed it).  Now the clock ticks and we'll see what AMEX does when I apply in Sept, which will be 2 years after my file date. (AMEX not included in BK).

Also, this doesn't effect any of my gardening, so WTH.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 28 of 38
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I'm not getting a prepaid card to try to influence AMEX to give me a charge card, They're gonna look at my CR and gimme one!!! Smiley Tongue

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 29 of 38
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Please note im still new to plastic and what not being for the past 12 years since I turned 18 lived on cash only purchases. How is it bad to use your debit card for purchases?
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.