cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Prime Membership Question

tag
tlgp

AMEX Prime Membership Question

I recently got a AMEX BCE with the Amazon Prime promotion.  As I understand it, I need to spend $1,000 and then buy a prime membership.  I will then get a $79 statement credit as reimbursment for the cost of the prime membership.  My qustion is, does that $79 charge for the prime membership count towards the $1,000 minimum spend?  In that case, I would need just $921 of other purchases.  I have talked to a couple of customer service reps, but none of them seem to understand the question.

BOA Cash Rewards: $4000 Discover IT: $1600 Chase Freedom: $3200 AMEX BCE: $2000 Barclay Arrival: $4000
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RushXTC
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Prime Membership Question

@tlgp wrote:

I recently got a AMEX BCE with the Amazon Prime promotion.  As I understand it, I need to spend $1,000 and then buy a prime membership.  I will then get a $79 statement credit as reimbursment for the cost of the prime membership.  My qustion is, does that $79 charge for the prime membership count towards the $1,000 minimum spend?  In that case, I would need just $921 of other purchases.  I have talked to a couple of customer service reps, but none of them seem to understand the question.

To be honest, I don't have the question, However I do have a suggestion.

Why not sign up for a community college (Unless you're already in school). You get your own e-mail through the school, You don't have to go to school or anything, But you'll get amazon's perks for being a student by using the e-mail to verify that you're a student. $39 a year, Instead of having to spend $1,000 just to get it for free.. It's basically the same thing, Except you don't get seperate accounts to share with your household for 2-day shipping (Who needs that anyways, When you already have it?)

It's what I do.

Message 2 of 10
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

No.

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 3 of 10
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@RushXTC wrote:

@tlgp wrote:

Why not sign up for a community college (Unless you're already in school). You get your own e-mail through the school, You don't have to go to school or anything, But you'll get amazon's perks for being a student by using the e-mail to verify that you're a student. $39 a year, Instead of having to spend $1,000 just to get it for free.. It's basically the same thing, Except you don't get seperate accounts to share with your household for 2-day shipping (Who needs that anyways, When you already have it?)

It's what I do.

Amazon Student is only good for four years.  Besides, if OP already got the BCE and gets free Prime for a year, why not take advantage of it?

FICO Scores 800+
Message 4 of 10
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

@RushXTC wrote:

@tlgp wrote:

It's what I do.

Amazon Student is only good for four years.  Besides, if OP already got the BCE and gets free Prime for a year, why not take advantage of it?

Well then he could take advantage of the free prime for a year and switch to student before it renews at full price.

Message 5 of 10
askme3012
New Contributor

for this card, you have to register for Amazon prime BEFORE you spend $1000 with the AMEX card. Confirmed this with CSR. After you spend your $1000, u will get statement credit of $79. 

US Bank Cash+ $18.9K || Discover IT $29.3K || Barclays Arrival $6K || AMEX BCE $50K || Chase Freedom $7K || First Tech CU $12K ||First Tech CU $25K || CSP $25K || BofA Cash Rewards $12K || Citi TYP $12K || IHG Rewards $15K
Starting Score: All CRAs : Started from scratch
Current Score: TU 821 , EQ 816 (Credit Karma) EX FICO 798
Goal Score: All CRAs : 800+

Message 6 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

@askme3012 wrote:

for this card, you have to register for Amazon prime BEFORE you spend $1000 with the AMEX card. Confirmed this with CSR. After you spend your $1000, u will get statement credit of $79. 

You have to register before you reach 1k spend? or you have to register before you spend any money at all on the card? I would assume its the former as the later seems really stupid. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 10
askme3012
New Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@askme3012 wrote:

You have to register before you reach 1k spend? or you have to register before you spend any money at all on the card? I would assume its the former as the later seems really stupid. 

Well if its stupid then it wont be true.. Smiley Tongue and yeah its the former.

US Bank Cash+ $18.9K || Discover IT $29.3K || Barclays Arrival $6K || AMEX BCE $50K || Chase Freedom $7K || First Tech CU $12K ||First Tech CU $25K || CSP $25K || BofA Cash Rewards $12K || Citi TYP $12K || IHG Rewards $15K
Starting Score: All CRAs : Started from scratch
Current Score: TU 821 , EQ 816 (Credit Karma) EX FICO 798
Goal Score: All CRAs : 800+

Message 8 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Message 9 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@askme3012 wrote:

I don't think it matters which order you complete the steps.  You have to register in the first 3 months and you have to complete the spend in the first 3 months.  Also, I would just spend $1000 exclusive of the $79 prime membership fee to be sure, but if I had to guess, it probably does count toward the total.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.