cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Questions

tag
PaHi

AMEX Questions

So, I went ahead and opened a Platinum AMEX--now I'm so confused. It doesn't have a limit and I'm always afraid to use it, because I never know if "this will be the time I've hit my limit!" lol Is there some secret way to stay ahead of your denials? (other than checking that silly spending power button)...

Also; I would rather have an AMEX WITH A LIMIT! Can I open one now? Or must I wait X amount of weeks/months due to just opening this AMEX?

Note: This is my first card with AMEX. So I'm new with them.

I've been paying the balance the MOMENT one posts. I've already paid about $2,000 in just 4 days. So hopefully that helps...

Also; They said my POT limit is $6,000--1) How do I use it? 2) Does it report to the CB's with a limit & balance? 3) Does it raise periodically?

Thank you!!!

As a side note: I opened a Citi Diamond Card & a 2nd Disco card, too. Regret even opening them! Citi gave me $500 and Disco gave me $2,000... Now I'm debating if I want to battle getting them up to normal limits, or just immediately close them out... Any thoughts? Any suggestions on how to get them QUICKLY to useable limits? Especially that $500 Citi Diamond... How soon can I request a CLI on it?

Thanks again!

14 REPLIES 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX Questions

Your POT would be your safe limit. Any charges over $100 are applied to that limit. You can choose to PIF or the adjusted balance which would lead to interest charges. You can also set up payment plans for charges in the POT with a fixed fee, for a specific amount of time. Anything above your POT limit, and any charges below $100 are due in full on your due date. So as of right now, you should be able to spend at least 6000 with no issue. 

Message 2 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Using the Check Spending Ability function would be your best bet.  It appears you may be fairly new to credit or have a blemished credit history taking the other approvals into consideration, so your NPSL may not be all that high.  You should be able to open a revolving credit card product from American Express now, provided it is approved.

For details on how to use Pay Over Time, Amex has a convenient FAQ.  Pay Over Time limits are never disclosed to credit bureaus.  Charge cards simply report your statement balance, your minimum payment (which is the same as the statement balance as it is a charge card which by definition has 1 month terms, regardless of POT, balances carried, or other promotional terms), and no limit is reported.  Your highest reported balance is used as a credit limit analogue on very old credit scoring models; on modern credit scoring models, they are not factored into revolving utilization.  Amex can change Pay Over Time limits, but it's personally never happened to me.  I had the same $35,000 on both cards since POT was introduced around 18 years ago.

Message 3 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Your POT would be your safe limit. ... So as of right now, you should be able to spend at least 6000 with no issue. 

Have the data points changed recently on POT just being a fairly arbitrary number?  Historically, we've seen as many people cut off well before reaching POT limits as we have people able to spend well beyond their POT limit.

Message 4 of 15
PaHi

I'm about 2.5-3 years into my credit journey. So certainly much newer to it than you. lol You have about every AMEX made. lol! That's awesome! Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@PaHi wrote:

I'm about 2.5-3 years into my credit journey. So certainly much newer to it than you. lol You have about every AMEX made. lol! That's awesome! Smiley Very Happy

That's not too incredibly new, so as long as your reports are clean and income is both sufficient to support your spending and verifiable within Amex's data collection abilities you likely won't run into issues with NPSL, especially after a bit of time with on-time payments with them.

Message 6 of 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Your POT would be your safe limit. ... So as of right now, you should be able to spend at least 6000 with no issue. 

Have the data points changed recently on POT just being a fairly arbitrary number?  Historically, we've seen as many people cut off well before reaching POT limits as we have people able to spend well beyond their POT limit.

I have yet to see anyone cut off before POT limit. Has that become a thing? They asked for a safe limit before charges might be denied. The POT limit should be safe. While they could possibly be allowed to charge 20k, they should be able to charge to 6k without issue since Amex will allow that amount to be carried according to what Amex laid out with their card. If people are being cut off prior to the POT limit, I suspect something triggered their algorithms. 

Message 7 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I have yet to see anyone cut off before POT limit. Has that become a thing? They asked for a safe limit before charges might be denied. The POT limit should be safe. While they could possibly be allowed to charge 20k, they should be able to charge to 6k without issue since Amex will allow that amount to be carried according to what Amex laid out with their card. If people are being cut off prior to the POT limit, I suspect something triggered their algorithms. 

It used to be a thing, at least.  Lower amounts seem to be a more recent thing, but back when $25k and $35k seemed to be the standard POT amount it was generally understood that they weren't a reliable indicator of spending ability in either direction.

Message 8 of 15
PaHi

Have you saw any POT's above $35,000--or is that their ceiling on those?

Message 9 of 15
NAVYCHOP
Contributor

I've had an AMEX account for 35 years.  About three years ago during COVID I triggered AMEX algorithms by carrying temporarily a high credit utilization on other outside accounts.  They bumped my $35K POT down to $18.5.  The month after I paid POT off in full they slapped a $4k spending limit on my Platinum.  Over the last 36 months, they raised the 4k limit to 7k and then 10K.  For the last eight months my FICO score has been over 800 again with no outstanding debt on other cards, everything paid off, but I suppose it may take another couple years to get the NPSL restored.  Recently in a month when my FICO bankcard 8 was 821, AMEX sent me a letter that it was raising the interest rate on my Delta AMEX card based on my creditworthiness so there must be a lag time in their data collection.  Interestingly, I have a Delta AMEX with a $40K CL that AMEX never touched despite the spending limits that were slapped on the Platinum.  The interest rate didn't matter to me since I don't intend to carry balances in the future.  I got so tired of always bouncing up against the monthly Platinum spending limit that I finally shoved the Platinum card in a drawer a few months ago and am using the Delta as my everyday card for the time being.  I deactivated the POT after I paid it off in 2020.  Bit of an oxymoron for them back in 2020 to slap on a $4k spending limit but leave an $18.5 POT limit that could not be used.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.