Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Questions

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Questions

@PaHi wrote:

So, I went ahead and opened a Platinum AMEX--now I'm so confused. It doesn't have a limit and I'm always afraid to use it, because I never know if "this will be the time I've hit my limit!" lol Is there some secret way to stay ahead of your denials? (other than checking that silly spending power button)...

Also; I would rather have an AMEX WITH A LIMIT! Can I open one now? Or must I wait X amount of weeks/months due to just opening this AMEX?

Note: This is my first card with AMEX. So I'm new with them.

I've been paying the balance the MOMENT one posts. I've already paid about $2,000 in just 4 days. So hopefully that helps...

Also; They said my POT limit is $6,000--1) How do I use it? 2) Does it report to the CB's with a limit & balance? 3) Does it raise periodically?

Thank you!!!

As a side note: I opened a Citi Diamond Card & a 2nd Disco card, too. Regret even opening them! Citi gave me $500 and Disco gave me $2,000... Now I'm debating if I want to battle getting them up to normal limits, or just immediately close them out... Any thoughts? Any suggestions on how to get them QUICKLY to useable limits? Especially that $500 Citi Diamond... How soon can I request a CLI on it?

Thanks again!

1. Yes there wouldn't be any problem with your applying now for a regular Amex credit card.

2. I've never used the POT feature so I don't know how it works; things like that make me nervous, which is why I never used it.

3. From what I've read in this forum your POT limit is probably similar to your internal spending limit on the platinum card, so you can use that as your guideline.

4. There's no reason to close out either the Disco or the Citi Diamond cards. In my book the Diamond card is junky, but I would try to pc it to something more useful, like the Custom Cash, the Double Cash, or the Premier card.

5.  Your dislike for the uncertainty that attaches to the platinum card is one of the primary reasons I no longer have any Amex charge cards. I really don't like having to guess. I once used my Gold card for a $3k veterinary bill, and Amex refused the charge because it was bigger than my normal expenditure on the card. I'm also not fond of outsized annual fees.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 11 of 15
DrewfromTexas
New Contributor

@PaHi wrote:

Have you saw any POT's above $35,000--or is that their ceiling on those?

My pay over time limit on a brand new card is $50,000. I literally just got my BK off my credit report and had burned amex in my BK in 2015 or 2016 so they are pretty trusting it seems. 

Message 12 of 15
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

If your POT limit is $6k, you should have no concerns about hitting your limit for at least the first $6k.  Just use your card as you wished to.  If there is an issue,they will tell you.

I spend over my POT randomly with no issues and PIF.  I have not had any charge denied.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 13 of 15
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@PaHi wrote:

Have you saw any POT's above $35,000--or is that their ceiling on those?

My friend has a $50k POT and spends like $2500 per month on it.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 14 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You really should do more research before going and applying for a card. Not trying to be rude/mean/condescending, just saying it could save you a lot of time and headaches later down the road. That said, if you end up not liking the Platinum card, you can always cancel/downgrade to a Gold or Green card after a year. I wouldn't cancel/downgrade in less than a year though if you value your relationship with Amex. They wouldn't like that. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.