Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Reducing their standards? Friend approved with NO CREDIT

tag
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

AMEX Reducing their standards? Friend approved with NO CREDIT

Is this normal now? A friend was approved with almost no credit (Blue Cash Everyday). AoYY: "1 month"

I personally checked is credit file and theres only 2 account, one from Discover 1 month old and the new AMEX Account.

I fill this is so strange bacause to be approved by amex I had to wait 6 months 

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
72 REPLIES 72
Cleaningitup2016
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Reducing their standards? Friend approved with NO CREDIT

What product was it?

Credit Card companies have a name for those who pay their bill in full each month: Deadbeats
Message 2 of 73
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Over 20 years ago my first card was the gold and the only thing I had on my file was an auto loan for a couple of months. 

Message 3 of 73
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Approved for what and what limit?

Everyone's been digging into the underbanked recently because that's still an incomplete market... and pretty much where Chase goes Amex follows and vice versa TBH and Chase has been refactoring some of their products too though more on the checking side to my knowledge.

Ultimately everyone is talking about being "banks for life" or whatever, where they grow with the financial capabilities of their consumers rather than just offering one product that fits initially at the consumer's credit/financial tier and fails later and they wind up losing the consumer as a result to someone else (hi Penfed)... kind of like modern corporate America come to think of it and that's starting to change too. 

Anyway the lenders have already sorted the higher end tiers, so it makes sense they're going to start pushing into the lower tiers as there's clearly room beneath the traditional checking account / credit card underwriting and someone just starting out or in college or whatever.  

Secured cards filled that role before but banks are trying to find more inroads into that and have been for the last decade or so.

        
Message 4 of 73
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

It really depends on the product and whether identity can be verified.  Just because the Discover was only a month old doesn't mean there wasn't already a credit file with Experian.  Did you have to wait 6 months because you had no Experian credit file?

Message 5 of 73
dragontears
Senior Contributor

It happens, Amex can be very thin file friendly.
It frequently seems that as long as you have a pulse and a job with no recent baddies they will approve you lol (as long as you never burned them)
Message 6 of 73
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'm not sure if it would be legal for Amex to consider these...but maybe the customer lives in an affluent ZIP code? Or with relatives who have been good customers?

Do you have some ballpark idea of your friend's income?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 73
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

What product was it?

Blue Cash Everyday

Message 8 of 73
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

It really depends on the product and whether identity can be verified.  Just because the Discover was only a month old doesn't mean there wasn't already a credit file with Experian.  Did you have to wait 6 months because you had no Experian credit file?

Personally I had a credit card with my local bank back then and it reported on experian, but that was about 4 years ago, that's why I was surpriced.

Message 9 of 73
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Isacking97 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Personally I had a credit card with my local bank back then and it reported on experian, but that was about 4 years ago, that's why I was surpriced.

What was the reason for the 6 month wait?  My apologies if I wrongly assumed it was due to lack of a credit file.

Message 10 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.