Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Reducing their standards? Friend approved with NO CREDIT

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

None of my cards scream status. Lol.

But your Sig does.......

Yes, but for real world use, a sig is pretty hard to use to impress.  "Oh, let me bring up MyFico on my phone and oh yes, there's my sig.   Let's just mouse over the cards to see the limits..."

Lol.

Message 41 of 73
redpat
Senior Contributor

LT, I was just busting some stones.

But the WF Propel is a pretty flashy aluminum card.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 42 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But your Sig does.......

Yes, but for real world use, a sig is pretty hard to use to impress.  "Oh, let me bring up MyFico on my phone and oh yes, there's my sig.   Let's just mouse over the cards to see the limits..."

The only 2 cards I got comments on was my cassette tape DISCOVER and the clear Amex BCE. All of the other run of the mill cards no one cared about. 

Message 43 of 73
redpat
Senior Contributor

Anybody can get my cards. Amex charges are the easiest to get.

Citi Exec UW is probably the same as your DC.
Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 44 of 73
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You guys are playing nice, right?

Also, I'm really sorry to break this to anyone, but middle aged men/women are not the future. They are simply grabbing the next generation of card holders that will be paying way past the time we're having diaper parties, or flashing our mighty impressive metal cards in a nursing home while forgetting they expired 10 years ago.

Message 45 of 73
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Oddly I just had this thought.

Why buy a super expensive car, or house, or possibly even clothes when I can display my wealth with a Centurion. 

Not that my spend qualifies but $5K a year or whatever it is, sounds like a bargain if you care about such things.

Size of the "impressed" group!   Some cars are obviously flashy and expensive, so those easily impressed will be impressed, and similarly when you drop into conversation (quite spontaneously) "Oh, I do like coming home to my 10 bedroom house in [desireable place]"  Clothes are harder because not everyone will recognize the cost of the items.  But centurian:  well, for those impressed most would have been equally impressed by the Plat (or even Gold) which would have been an even better bargain.  And yes, some will know the difference, but these will be MyFico types, and you don't want to hang around those sort of people, as anyone hanging around on an internet credit card forum is almost by definition Not Worth Impressing.

Laugh, speak for yourself bud!

Actually though I think the number of people that would recognize the black Amex is FAR larger than you make it out to be; quite possibly 5-10% of America would understand that.  

Actually we have datapoints: Zync and the number of people that Oooohed and Aaaaahed over it.

Right, wrong, or indifferent: people know what an Amex is, and when you see a rare Amex it's going to be assumed impressive.  My theory on it anyway.

        
Message 46 of 73
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But your Sig does.......

Oh ye of so little faith Smiley Happy.

Not quite the same thing, but I literally saw someone post their 850 screenshot which looked like the myFICO UI as one of their profile pictures on a dating site not that long ago.  Of course, she didn't respond to my hi haha.

        
Message 47 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

Amex cards are the easiest to get? Maybe Amex is reducing their standards. 

Citi Exec sounds more prestigious than double cash. 

Message 48 of 73
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Revelate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But your Sig does.......

Oh ye of so little faith Smiley Happy.

I literally saw someone post their 850 as one of their profile pictures on a dating site not that long ago.  Of course, she didn't respond to my hi haha.

Sorry. I didn't know it was you 

Message 49 of 73
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Amex cards are the easiest to get? Maybe Amex is reducing their standards. 

Citi Exec sounds more prestigious than double cash. 

Lol!  If you think so, it only gets used to get into the admirals lounge.  If I didn't like to travel I would have CB cards rather than travel cards for perks and reward system.

As you can see I don't have one CB card.

Message 50 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.