Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Reinstatement DENIED, scores DROPPED -75, then SUCCESS Reinstatment Story

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Reinstatement DENIED, scores DROPPED -75, then SUCCESS Reinstatment Story

Hello myFICO forums!

I'm reaching out to get your solid advice in regards to a similar situation I have right now.

Accounts deactivated (both in the last two) due to no use in "x" amount of days.

- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card (opened in June 2018) had no balance

- Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card (opened in June 2018) had no balance

When I applied for both cards, myFICO scores were between 780 to 752 across the board. Last month in August I was blind sided by my scores dropping about 75-70 points each! Come to find out, one of my Bank of America cards didn't have my auto payment set up like I thought I had, and was 30 days past due Smiley Sad I have never had any issues like this before, EVER. I called BOA immediatly to pay in full (74 dollars) and solve the issue. I explained to them my situation and they were able to remove it (as if it never happened) from my credit file successfully back during the end of Aug/beginning of Sep. I have yet to see my scores shoot back up to 750+ across the board, so I have disputed the prior BOA claims with all 3 Credit Bureaus. Hopefully they see now that the BOA past due claim is no longer there and my scores will climb back up to where they were. Should be getting results sometime in OCT.

With that explained, I called Amex to have both cards reinstated which were closed on Sep 6 and Sep 16. They made it seem as if it was no big deal and I should be reinstated without issue due to my history with Amex. I also have others card including (main card) Amex Plat, Amex Plat Business, Amex Gold, and Amex Blue Cash Preferred. Never had any issue with these other cards ever, all in good standing. I just received Amex's decision of DENIED for both cards to be reinstated via today in the mail. I didn't know that they would recheck my credit profile (which they didn't state on the phone). It stated that  MyFico score at the time of my account close read 685 and stated something in regards to my "past due payment" situation as well and other "default typical" factors of denial. I called Amex underwritting and they couldn't help me because I don't have an "application" for this process and said I needed to call Customer Service. Should I speak to a Supervisor?

I would like to have these cards reinstated without having to re-apply, but it's looking like they might be pushing me towards that if I want the cards. Any advice on how to possibly go about reinstatement? Thanks in advance for any contribution! I really appriciate this! 

56 REPLIES 56
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Reinstatement DENIED !HELP!

Sorry to hear about your situation.  No matter how it ends up, I would recommend that you cancel all, repeat all, of your autopayments and begin actively managing your credit cards.  It isn't hard, and it doesn't take much time, but it does require your to focus your attention on what you are charging and when you are paying.  Too often I read these stories about how people get themselves into trouble because they thought that they had a foolproof autopayment set up, and it didn't work.  I'm telling you and everybody else who reads this:  there is no substitute for actively managing your credit cards.  Make it a priority.  Protect your credit score and your banking relationships.  Avoid autopayment at all costs.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 months seems like a very short amount of time to close a card for no activity

Message 3 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

3 months seems like a very short amount of time to close a card for no activity

I said the same thing! They said it's a new rule they've put in place just recently. Had I known, I would have done differently for sure!

Message 4 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Reinstatement DENIED and scores DROPPED !HELP!

OP—Talk to a supervisor and see what happens there. I haven’t had this experience, but it does make sense that underwriting wouldn’t want to look at it unless instructed by a supervisor.

As an aside, I have autopay set up on all of my cards, but I still make it a habit to manually pay (weekly in my case) and just use autopsy as a back-up.
Message 5 of 57
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Sorry for your troubles. I believe 100% in auto pay. Normally I'll babysit the account into the 2nd statement to insure auto pay is set properly.

Once I'm assured it's working properly. I let it do it's job. US bank almost got me last month. For them, it takes two billing cycles before the auto pay locks in.
I still check over the accounts, but I don't go in and manually pay them unless I'm on a 0% promotion.

Amex closed one of my coworkers CCs recently. He didn't activate it. 90 days in they shut it down and closed the account.
Message 6 of 57
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Hi @Anonymous, your duplicate thread in 'Rebuilding Your Credit' has been removed.  Please avoid cross posting in the future; it's confusing to follow and is against our guidelines here.

--UB

Message 7 of 57
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Sorry to hear about your situation.  No matter how it ends up, I would recommend that you cancel all, repeat all, of your autopayments and begin actively managing your credit cards.  It isn't hard, and it doesn't take much time, but it does require your to focus your attention on what you are charging and when you are paying.  Too often I read these stories about how people get themselves into trouble because they thought that they had a foolproof autopayment set up, and it didn't work.  I'm telling you and everybody else who reads this:  there is no substitute for actively managing your credit cards.  Make it a priority.  Protect your credit score and your banking relationships.  Avoid autopayment at all costs.

I strongly disagree with this because to use a cliche, life happens.   I would expect auto-pay saves many more situations than it causes.

Talking of which, I just had to pay interest on two cards (one mine, one wife, same CU  issuer)  because it turns out auto-pay was never set up (like OP) apparently there is no way to set it up yourself and I never jumped through the necessary hoops.   I'm taking this as a lesson to ENSURE autopay on everything rather than cancel it everywhere

Message 8 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, did you ever make a first purchase with the two cards that AmEx cancelled for non use?

Message 9 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, did you ever make a first purchase with the two cards that AmEx cancelled for non use?

No I didn't but they were activated

Message 10 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.