cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Request a Line Increase - It's Baaack!

tag
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Request a Line Increase - It's Baaack!

The Amex "Request a Line Increase" button disappeared from my online account in mid-December until a couple of days ago.

It is now back under "Online Statement", "Recent Transactions" and also "Manage Your Account">"Credit and Balance Transfers">"Line of Credit">"Increase Your Line of Credit". If you hover over that last one, the "Helpful Information" explains the process.

I started in June 2008 with 2K and did the IVR phone option to 5K in November 2009 making sure to stay under the magic 3X. I might be able to increase it again, but I'm happy with this CL. I am curious to see when they renew my card this June if they give me an auto CLI.

As always, YMMV.

Message Edited by jaysdad2k on 01-18-2010 02:22 PM
"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Zar
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Request a Line Increase - It's Baaack!

It's back for me too! It dissapeared back in October. I requested an increase for my Blue over the phone in December 2009 from $4000 to $12000 (under 3x also) and it was instantly granted.

Zar Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does "magic 3x" mean?
Message 3 of 15
Zar
Regular Contributor

Hello Sayre,

With Amex you can only request up to 3 times your current credit line without the need of showing documents (in theory).

Zar Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great... thanks for the explain.
Message 5 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

An AMEX CLI link hasn't appeared for me yet.  When I requested a CLI a few months ago, I had to search for the link. 
Message 6 of 15
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Not for me:

How can I apply for a line of credit increase for my American Express Card?

Because each Cardmember's situation is different, we will need to discuss this with you directly. If you would like to speak about increasing the line of credit on your account, please call the number on the back of your card

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 01-19-2010 08:25 AM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 15
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

The comings and goings of the 'Apply for a CL Increase' button is account dependent and is not a blanket action over all accounts.  Some accounts always have the button, others will seldom, if ever, have the button.  It depends on the specifics of the account although I suspect AMEX has tweaked their internal modeling and is being a bit more generous in offering increases now.  As always, use the button with caution.  Just because it is there does not mean you should ask for more CL.  Always ask this question, 'Do I want to wake the god's of AMEX?'
Message Edited by Watchmann on 01-19-2010 09:32 AM
Message 8 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I hit mine for x2 instead of x3 and got it. Who knows if I would have gotten the full amount? I figured it would be better to go for a smaller amount.

I like to claim that I'm flying under the radar, but actually, I'm chicken. Smiley Happy And happily so, btw. I'll let others catch the attention of the big red eyeball from Mordor.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the Costco True Earnings AMEX since 4/08 at 2k CL and I always PIF.  I've had the LUV button for a while now but I'm honestly scared to try for fear that they'll notice me.  I get my rewards check with my next statement, maybe I'll try it after I cash that check.  That way, if the worst happens, they won't be able to keep it. 
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.