cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!

Well, this confirms that I'm an idiot!

Back in late August, I was approved for the AMEX SPG Luxury card just prior to the deadline when Marriott/AMEX shut down the ability to receive a sign-up bonus if you'd already had one on the Ritz or Marriott cards. At the time, the SUB was 100,000 points for spending $5,000 within three months. No problem, I thought...

I had until late November to put $5,000 on the card, which I set about doing. The AMEX website makes it easy to monitor how much has been charged to the card. Once I exceeded $5,000 by a couple hundred dollars--well before the deadline--I thought I was home-free.

However, I forgot about the rule that the annual fee ($450) doesn't count towards the spend requirement! So when I checked with AMEX today, they told me I fell just a few dollars short. I asked them if they'd give it to me anyway, as I plan to keep the card and stay at Marriott properties frequently. No dice, they said...

The motto of this story: Don't forget that the annual fee charged to a card doesn't count toward meeting the initial spend requirement to qualify for a sign-up bonus! Sheesh...

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!

This truly sucks, OP! Just reading this puts my stomach in knots. Ugh!, very unfortunate. As one who is loyal to the Marriott brand and stack as many points as I can, I can truly understand your pain.
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bummer op! 

Sorry that happened! 

Message 3 of 28
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

That hurts just to hear. What an annoyance!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 28
redpat
Senior Contributor

Kudos to you for not blaming Amex.  I sucks when we have mental farts.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 5 of 28
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

I would call a few more times or ask for customer retention. Don't give up so easily.

Message 6 of 28
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I’d agree that you have a lot to gain if you CAN find a sympathetic ear. That really hurts me to read.

Message 7 of 28
charp150
Valued Member

I would keep up the fight. It looks like you have some top tier AMEX cards in your portfolio, their ear will probably be more sympathetic given the AFs you are paying. Especially if you've been a member for a while and give them decent spend. That hurts. But if I were in your shoes I'd be pretty optimistic.
Message 8 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@charp150 wrote:
I would keep up the fight. It looks like you have some top tier AMEX cards in your portfolio, their ear will probably be more sympathetic given the AFs you are paying. Especially if you've been a member for a while and give them decent spend. That hurts. But if I were in your shoes I'd be pretty optimistic.

Well, it would be a good DP anyway!  Amex are very tough (as in "no") about things like matching increased SUBs, and to me this is somewhat similar.   The terms "clearly"  state that AF isn't part of required spend ("Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges.....") and so they may be unwilling to bend.   If OP puts a LOT of spend, chances might be better.

Message 9 of 28
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

I recommend calling AMEX Platinum lone - than ask to be transfer to the Customer Loyalty/ Retention dept. I tell them I will cancel all 4 cards.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.