cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!

@PointsBonus wrote:
I recommend calling AMEX Platinum lone - than ask to be transfer to the Customer Loyalty/ Retention dept. I tell them I will cancel all 4 cards.

It’s always a bad idea to take that gamble unless you MEAN it. 

What happens when they say “ok, give me one second while I close them all”? 

Message 11 of 28
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PointsBonus wrote:
I recommend calling AMEX Platinum lone - than ask to be transfer to the Customer Loyalty/ Retention dept. I tell them I will cancel all 4 cards.

Exactly! 

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 12 of 28
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, sorry to hear this happened, but kudos for sharing your story.

Have you already spent well past the $5k? I agree it is a very long shot, but if you are ever going to call, it is soon after you actually pass the spend requirement. GL!
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 28
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

<shiver> Yeah, I wouldn’t do that. There’s a big difference between how “I’m not sure this card is right for me anymore” and “I want to close all of my accounts” would be handled.
Message 14 of 28
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston wrote:
<shiver> Yeah, I wouldn’t do that. There’s a big difference between how “I’m not sure this card is right for me anymore” and “I want to close all of my accounts” would be handled.

+1.  How many times have we read on this here forum where that line is used and then the CSR actually does it without further questioning?  Answer, enough to know not to play that game.  The same folks that play that game and get burned by it find themselves creating threads here stating that they hate the lender and all CSR's sucks all because someone acted on their initial threat/request.  

So to the OP, plead your case if you so desire but proceed with caution as it relates to the "cancel all my cards" because you may get some who will happily grant your request.  

Message 15 of 28
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear that happened OP. I have to meet the same $5k spend to get the 100K SPG pts. on my business SPG card--but I don't have an AF for the 1st year so no worries there.

That's just like when I was trying to make the $2k spend on my Gold card--I made sure to subtract the two $10 dinning credits that were issued me from the $2k so the same thing wouldn't happen to me.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 16 of 28
redpat
Senior Contributor

@PointsBonus wrote:

Hmm, it wasn’t Amex’s fault.  So would that mean SUB spend rules don’t apply?

We and only be angry at ourselves if this happened to any of us.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 17 of 28
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Oh OP, this is a whammy.Smiley Sad

However, if it were me, I would not give up just because a CSR said "no deal."

Call back and ask to speak to a supervisor--cry, beg, plead, whatever it takes.

If that doesn't work, write an email to a higher up and list everything you purchased--yes, it's in the statement, but that doesn't matter. A detailed email will show that you took the time to truly plead your case. Talk about how much you love AmX and the card, how you are planning to use it in the future, and that your plan is to continue using it as your daily driver.

Tell a little white lie if necessary--you were going to use those points toward your wedding, sending your parents on a well-deserved vacation, whatever. Explain how this was an honest mistake. Talk about how hard you worked on trying to get those points and that you only fell a mere $______ short because you had honestly forgotten about the annual fee. 

Grovel, grovel, grovel, and grovel some more.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. You have nothing to lose.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 18 of 28
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PointsBonus wrote:

+1000

or Gawd-forbid, they don't even say "give me one sec." They just hit the button and say "it's done."

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 19 of 28
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

My apologizes for not being clear, i didn't meant to call CSR and be rude, you always get more with honey than vinegar.  I believe OP has a valid point to call AMEX for the SUB, here are my reason ( just my opinion)

1. Has 2 $450 card = $900

2. AMEX Platinum = $550

3. Spent the $5000.00 just on the SPG

4. I can only assume OP is a loyal AMEX customer to have that many cards with annual fees

Again just my humble opinion. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Again, you never know until you try. The worse case is for them to say no , again.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.