cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!

I would suggest being super diplomatic if you push this further.

Personally I would save my powder in reserve for a true gray area.

 

Very difficult to guess what the future may bring.

 

During the financial crisis Amex was closing accounts if people shopped at the wrong stores, but perhaps as recently as 4-5 years ago a person would have sounded quite foolish and uninformed if he or she were to have predicted the terms that Amex has been offering on unsecured loans the past few years.

Message 21 of 28
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!


@PointsBonus wrote:

My apologizes for not being clear, i didn't meant to call CSR and be rude, you always get more with honey than vinegar.  I believe OP has a valid point to call AMEX for the SUB, here are my reason ( just my opinion)

1. Has 2 $450 card = $900

2. AMEX Platinum = $550

3. Spent the $5000.00 just on the SPG

4. I can only assume OP is a loyal AMEX customer to have that many cards with annual fees

 

Again just my humble opinion. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Again, you never know until you try. The worse case is for them to say no , again.


I believe the common misconception and disconnect is that we often treat these types of situations and/or conversation as the person who is taking the call has a personal stake in all of this.  While in a perfect world employees would do (within reason) what they could to take care of and satisfy customers.  If there was some flexibility in the rule, you'd hope they'd do their best to see if they could use that leeway to fix/resolved your concern - after all, it's the customer who uses the product and make the payments who helps to keep the lights on in their call center and somehow fund their paycheck.

 

BUT, we DON'T live in a perfect world and the person who takes your call MAY just be someone who shows up to put in their time and collect their paycheck.  ALWAYS assume that the person you're dealing couldn't care one bit if you picked up your purse (or wallet) and walked away   With that in mind, be careful of what you say on these types of calls.  Things can go bad really fast, leaving only YOU disappointed.  After all, who cares if you're leaving Amex if the person on the phone can't even get a product that their company provides?   

 

Catch my drift?  It's hard to convince a server at a 5 star steak house to feel sorry for your because you're screaming that your steak was just a little overcook when the best he (or she) can afford is a Big Mac at McDonalds.  Telling them you may never come back is probably a blessing to them because they probably don't care for your type anyway. 

 

Folks, PLEASE understand that sometimes people resent you just because you have something they have decided they can't have (be it true or not).  So when you call, make demands, and threaten to leave, trust and believe that there are some who'd just love do deny you simply because they percieve you as being entitled.  I can imagine that there are some that who thinks, hmm...that 100k points you need to stay at the Ritz in Maui...yeah, not going to happen.  Even if I could help you, I won't.  Your accounts have been closed as requested, is there anything else I can do for you Mr/Mrs X?  

 

Don't be Mr/Mrs X!

Message 22 of 28
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!

UPDATE: Thanks so much for all the thoughtful advice and counsel!

 

Today, as advised, I called the AMEX Platinum line, groveled in the most self-deprecating manner, and begged for help. The CSR, who turned out to be a Lead Agent, couldn't have been more understanding and helpful. She submitted what she called an "iCare" request (Individual Care?) asking for reconsideration of my SPG Luxury SUB. She included a mention of the fact that I have four AMEX cards and spend a lot on them for travel each year. I told her I'd be very happy if they give me the SUB outright, or even if they give me another 3 months during which to put an additional $5,000 spend on the card.

 

She told me it can take 2-3 weeks for this type of request to be processed. AMEX will send me an Email letting me know the status of my SUB.

 

Thanks again for all your help; I'll keep you posted on the resolution of this case.

 

Message 23 of 28
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!


@ridgebackpilot wrote:

UPDATE: Thanks so much for all the thoughtful advice and counsel!

 

Today, as advised, I called the AMEX Platinum line, groveled in the most self-deprecating manner, and begged for help. The CSR, who turned out to be a Lead Agent, couldn't have been more understanding and helpful. She submitted what she called an "iCare" request (Individual Care?) asking for reconsideration of my SPG Luxury SUB. She included a mention of the fact that I have four AMEX cards and spend a lot on them for travel each year. I told her I'd be very happy if they give me the SUB outright, or even if they give me another 3 months during which to put an additional $5,000 spend on the card.

 

She told me it can take 2-3 weeks for this type of request to be processed. AMEX will send me an Email letting me know the status of my SUB.

 

Thanks again for all your help; I'll keep you posted on the resolution of this case.

 


Here's to hoping it all shakes out in the end, OP!  Good luck and thanks for providing an update!  I'm sure the CSR is thanking you for being pleasant as you explained your situation.

Message 24 of 28
Highlighted
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!


@Loquat wrote:

 

 

BUT, we DON'T live in a perfect world and the person who takes your call MAY just be someone who shows up to put in their time and collect their paycheck.  ALWAYS assume that the person you're dealing couldn't care one bit if you picked up your purse (or wallet) and walked away   With that in mind, be careful of what you say on these types of calls.  Things can go bad really fast, leaving only YOU disappointed.  After all, who cares if you're leaving Amex if the person on the phone can't even get a product that their company provides?   

 

Catch my drift?  It's hard to convince a server at a 5 star steak house to feel sorry for your because you're screaming that your steak was just a little overcook when the best he (or she) can afford is a Big Mac at McDonalds.  Telling them you may never come back is probably a blessing to them because they probably don't care for your type anyway. 

 

Folks, PLEASE understand that sometimes people resent you just because you have something they have decided they can't have (be it true or not).  So when you call, make demands, and threaten to leave, trust and believe that there are some who'd just love do deny you simply because they percieve you as being entitled.  I can imagine that there are some that who thinks, hmm...that 100k points you need to stay at the Ritz in Maui...yeah, not going to happen.  Even if I could help you, I won't.  Your accounts have been closed as requested, is there anything else I can do for you Mr/Mrs X?  

 

Don't be Mr/Mrs X!


I agree, and there are also other cases, where you aren't quite the valuable customer that you may think. 

 

Probably told this before, but at a previous Big Telecomm job, I was working on an account which was billed $12million a month.  (And this was a few years ago, when $12M a month was real money).    I was asked to meet with a customer on another account who was unhappy, and a friend who owned that account hoped that I could calm him down.    So I drove for a few hours to meet him, and he immediately started the conversation something like "If you can't fix this I'm taking my business to XXX"   His monthly bill was $40K, and the reality was that if he pulled his accounts that day (which isn't easy...) the business wouldn't really notice at all.....    This account was a county board of education in a fairly poor county and I'm sure that to him, this was a big chunk of the overall budget, so he assumed it was also significant to us, but.....  Fortunately in those days, I was a nice person (before I discovered Myfico) so I did calm it down, but the moral is that even with an engaged customer-focussed employee, you may not be the big shot you imagine yourself to be.

Message 25 of 28
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!

WooHoo OP

Now, there’s a 50/50 chance and I—along with others here—are rooting for you.

DEC 2019: EX 816, TU 820, EQ 810
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macy's $20K || NFCU CLOC $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || Apple Card $6.5K ||
Message 26 of 28
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!

Regardless of how this issue turns out, you have a nice card lineup.

Message 27 of 28
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX SPG Luxury: Failed to Meet Spend Requirement!


@JAG73 wrote:

@PointsBonus wrote:
I recommend calling AMEX Platinum lone - than ask to be transfer to the Customer Loyalty/ Retention dept. I tell them I will cancel all 4 cards.

It’s always a bad idea to take that gamble unless you MEAN it. 

What happens when they say “ok, give me one second while I close them all”? 

 


Amex will do just that if not careful.

NFCU-BBVA-Discover-Idaho Central FCU-Capital One-Goldman Sachs (Apple)-Redstone-John Deere-Signature-EECU-BofA-AOD-Chase-Amex-Banco de Popular-Banco Do Brasil-Commerce-Truist-Citi-Synchrony-HSBC-USAA-Amegy-FNBO-Dell-Regions
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.