Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Sign-up bonus Limitations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Sign-up bonus Limitations

Hey Guys,

I was hoping you could shed some light on the AMEX sign-up bonus limitations (I have tried to find it on the forum).

I have been told there is only one sign-up bonus per card group, but I am confused as if those card groups are Credit Cards and Charge Cards only or if there are multiple card groups within Credit Cards.

I.e: If I apply for an AMEX Everyday Credit Card and receive a 10k point sign-up bonus, will I then not be eligible for the 30k point sign up bonus if I apply for the Gold Delta Skymiles?

It would be fantastic if someone could break it down for me(us all) showing that if you apply for a card in any one group you will use up your sign-up bonus for that group of cards (example below).

Group 1 (Charge Card): Green, Gold, Platinum, Black

Group 2 (Credit Card): Blue Cash Preffered, Blue Cash Everyday, Cash Magnet

Group 3 (Credit Card): Everyday, Everyday Preffered

Group 4 (Credit Card): Gold Delta Skymiles, Platinum Delta Skymiles, Delta Reserve

Group 5 (Credit Card): Hilton Honors, Hilton Honors Aspire, Hilton Honors Surpass, Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Sign-up bonus Limitations

The signups bonuses are limited to once per lifetime for each card offered. Even within the same "family" like the Hilton, Delta and charge cards for instance you can obtain the SUB for all of them as long as you haven't received the signup bonus before.  This even expands to the business versions of said cards

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't judge me, but here goes: 

I have received all sign up bonuses for group 4, as I have had all the cards. 
Ive had 2 SUB on group 1, Gold and Platinum. 
Ive had 1 SUB on group 3, Everyday

Ive had 1 SUB on group 5, Marriot fka SPG. I have also been offered upgrade SUB for this card. 

So, it's not group restricted, it's card restricted. 
Make sense? 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! This clarifies a lot!

Message 4 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

+1 to all of the above. Even variations among individual cards are eligible. For example you would be eligible for the Schwab Platinum card (assuming you have brokerage account) welcome offer even if you had received it on the regular Platinum card. Or from personal experience, the Delta Platinum Business even if you had received it for the consumer version of the card.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wasn't there a thread a while back that said Amex might be going to only one SUB per family of cards? 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Wasn't there a thread a while back that said Amex might be going to only one SUB per family of cards? 

Whether there was or wasn't a thread specualting about something doesn't really matter. There was lots of speculation that the refreshed Green card would include Amazon Prime. It doesn't.

The current reality is that it's once per card. Anything could change in the future.

Message 7 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Whether there was or wasn't a thread specualting about something doesn't really matter. There was lots of speculation that the refreshed Green card would include Amazon Prime. It doesn't.

The current reality is that it's once per card. Anything could change in the future.

There are exceptions via (usually) targeted promotions or referral promotions that do not include lifetime language.  Those do occur semi-regularly, in fact there were referrals available a couple of months ago for Hilton cards that didn't include lifetime language.  These are legitimate and don't trigger clawbacks. 

It's also speculated that in AMEX-land "lifetime" == "7 years" but I'm not aware of any substantive evidence to support the speculation.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@coldfusion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There are exceptions via (usually) targeted promotions or referral promotions that do not include lifetime language.  Those do occur semi-regularly, in fact there were referrals available a couple of months ago for Hilton cards that didn't include lifetime language.  These are legitimate and don't trigger clawbacks. 

It's also speculated that in AMEX-land "lifetime" == "7 years" but I'm not aware of any substantive evidence to support the speculation.

*raises hand*... as far as "lifetime"... I was able to obtain the SUB when I applied for PRG last July (eventually converted to Rose Gold a couple months thereafter).  I can't exactly recall the timeframe, but it was definitely >7 years when I had closed my former PRG.

Message 9 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

There is a strange hitch with the rose-gold Gold card in my account.  It's as if they consider it and the standard Gold card as being different products, as they consistently offer and pre-approve me for the standard-colored Gold card.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.