cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Spend AA gung-ho (what happens?next moves)

tag
elixerin
Established Contributor

AMEX Spend AA gung-ho (what happens?next moves)

heya FICO'ers, following my prior amex AA post (i know) i finally got in touch with a human and had a good long talk about my account, experiences, etc... i actually realized through that call you can push a payment well beyond the total balance.. i knew you could have a credit balance, just figured it was limited to just returns and maybe like $1-200 max.. knowing that info was big for me so i figured do i take "advantage" of that? OR should i just keep playing around with the hard-limit AMEX cards for 3x..

my plan was to tunnel the BBP 2x up to 50k alongside the Schwab SUB for the next couple months since traveling is down and there wont be any flight purchases so Plat won't be in "play". My problem, do they only for example look at your individual charge account history when determining spending powers on future charge accounts.. basically what im wondering is if every charge account obtained is a repeat in the "spending pattern history" department and the same AA's go on for this new account for the first 5-6 months, etc.. what might i expect? Also can priority spend on a charge account deter a revolver CLI any? given the usual goodies (score, uti, etc..), can they "say" your spend on this card doesn't warrant this CLI but your profile/spend right next door may very well? experiences?

I've spent about 120k-ish on just the Platinum since January and today if i check spend power im declined for an $8000 balance but $5000 can be held still statement close... can i reasonably expect this same thing to go on with the Schwab Platinum charge as well till at least winter? to those who wonder i personally (and the dream is) like running up a balance and as soon as it closes on the bill, push one PIF and be done with it instead of what i've been having to do.. Besides the annoyance, finding out that i can pay any amount beyond $0 makes me a tiny bit less bothered about the whole thing..

also since ill be mainly shuffling Schwab/BBP come May the Vanilla won't be seeing more than $1000 in charges most likely till i downgrade to gold Feb 2021(it'll just see misc. stuff like Saks, Global entry 2020, and maybe airlines for fee credit 2021), so given this can i expect my 2021 Gold card to be limited to maybe $800-1000 for months out from Feb-2021 solely because that accounts history? or do they see money being spent on their other accounts/overall amex profile? Business included?

i also wanted the communities thoughts on what might most warrant a CLI for a given individual.. for example maybe someone with a $15,000 credit limit "should" generally be spending around blank much month-to-month to warrant the increase, certain %... before this forum i used to think banks only gave credit they knew you could safely recycle often nothing more nothing less.. not for example a 50K Line in which the bank actually expects you to never pass 25-30%. But based off your history they also wont cut the remaining 70% you'll never use cause you are trustworthy?

thanks for the read all

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Spend AA gung-ho (what happens?next moves)

Same advice as the last go around- one should highly consider moving business spend to a business card. Otherwise, you're going to need 6 to 12 months history with Amex, deal with a lot of mid-month shutdowns, and possible Financial Review. You may go through some of that with a business account, but at least then the spend level will make sense to them.

edit to add- forgot to mention, would also be good to have a deposit account if you want to accelerate the "getting to know you" phase.

Message 2 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Same advice as the last go around- one should highly consider moving business spend to a business card. Otherwise, you're going to need 6 to 12 months history with Amex, deal with a lot of mid-month shutdowns, and possible Financial Review. You may go through some of that with a business account, but at least then the spend level will make sense to them.

+1

Message 3 of 7
elixerin
Established Contributor

lol, i can feel the exhuastion thru the screen.. thanks btw c:

yeah i have BBP but with it at 2k you're right i run main charges thru Platinum only cause it's actually less hassle than BBP which is odd i kno..at least Plat generally lets me charge the amounts i sometimes need albeit the hassle initially or soon after... BBP with 2k i'd be prepaying anything over 2k and probably be in credit balance every week (not to mention constant payments that always result in PB's)till my 3x timeline faulters..

So the business card thing is tough, at least for now with the strategy thats currently at play im not really looking for a Business charge card since other than personal/business its not really of much benefit to ME at least rewards-wise, not to mention additional AF i'd rather not justify.. hopes to big growth on BBP after im done with the 3x'es on Magnet.

Thanks for your reply, you mentioned 6-12 history with amex which is understood, does that history "reset" upon couple months of reduced usage OR with a new AMEX account within the charge card family you think?

edit: i also recently did link a "financial account" with AMX for them to view to maybe ease things up but no real budge.. feeling a huge mistake was made even after the link charges i "checked" in spending power at fractions of what they could currently see with me and still nope.. also probably placebo but it feels like its worse than prior to the Link.. Not sure what it's even there for

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a Business Platinum, among a whole range of other business cards they offer. The Business Gold may be appealing for a lot of different types of businesses.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/business/business-credit-cards/?inav=menu_business_b...

Message 5 of 7
elixerin
Established Contributor

oh ya, ive went thru their business lineups quite thoroughly prior.. personally i dont see the actual value in the cards themselves... or better put i see Value it brings but not for me

Like Business Platinum's 1.5x on purchases above 5 and 35% rebate would probably save thousands but only on premium travel... asides that lounge and everything is the same and i alao favor credits vs spend to outreach a cards AF, spend is just the gravy. Gold's 4x is okay doesnt line with my strategy nor spend esp with consumer vanilla downgrade to gold next year.. i have BBP just needs growing... MAYBE plum if im sensing a **bleep** up in the near future Smiley Tongue 

Message 6 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

In answer to one of your questions above, AMEX is known for being able to grow revolver limits to princely levels. It is a bit like the corollary to growing an NPSL charging level.

However the same basic rules apply: It takes time to build up the spend / payment confidence in the AMEX algorithms for both types of cards.

AMEX is also known for slashing Revolver limits if the file begins to show signs of "risk patterns". In quotes because we amateurs are just guessing from the results posted here, and trying to reverse engineer what is going on in AMEX's mind.  

The same advice as earlier: you need to build history over months. 

Push payment may help your situation. Go with that, regardless of points on the card. If you are running expenses through related to a business, then your major source of income should be that those costs are actually making you money. The type of card you use is only a minor tertiary reason for the transaction. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.