Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Travel

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

AMEX Travel

When booking through AMEX travel and you want to use MR points to pay do you have to have the whole amount needed or can you use some points and then charge the rest????

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 1 of 60
59 REPLIES 59
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Travel

You can use some points and charge the rest.

The real value in booking travel with Amex using your points comes from transferring those points to airline partners to exchange for free tickets Smiley Very Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 60
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

The real value in booking travel with Amex using your points comes from transferring those points to airline partners to exchange for free tickets Smiley Very Happy

That is correct. I never have full point for anything. Smiley Mad

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 3 of 60
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 4 of 60
Open123
Super Contributor

Also, look for potential transfer bonuses to a carrier you'll likely to redeem with for flghts.

Message 5 of 60
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

How do you do this i'm lost when it comes to all of that Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 60
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

How do you do this i'm lost when it comes to all of that Smiley Very Happy

Admins I apologize in advance, I dont know if posting a bloggers link is allower here.

@Anonymous: http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/01/25/membership-rewards-points-value/ 

this explains it all with MR

Message 7 of 60
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You make a rewards account with the partner, and see how many miles it takes to redeem for tickets.  In some cases it might be as little as 10k - 15k miles.

Then you either go to the Amex site, or call membership rewards, tell them you want to redeem by transferring to a rewards partner, give them your rewards partner account number, they make the transfer then you immediately go book your reward ticket.

Its not bad and the customer service team with Amex will  help if you have any issues!

I find a lot of value from booking my car rentals on Amex Travel, as well as flights, cause you earn 4x MR points on flights and you earn 2x on car rentals.

FICO 9:

Message 8 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

You make a rewards account with the partner, and see how many miles it takes to redeem for tickets.  In some cases it might be as little as 10k - 15k miles.

Then you either go to the Amex site, or call membership rewards, tell them you want to redeem by transferring to a rewards partner, give them your rewards partner account number, they make the transfer then you immediately go book your reward ticket.

Its not bad and the customer service team with Amex will  help if you have any issues!

I find a lot of value from booking my car rentals on Amex Travel, as well as flights, cause you earn 4x MR points on flights and you earn 2x on car rentals.

In the background learning now i know who to see about points....webhopper great info

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 60
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

In the background learning now i know who to see about points....webhopper great info

I'm still kind of new when it comes to points transfers and redeeming, but there are a lot of forum members who have a lot of knowledge out there.. and they've been doing it longer than me!

FICO 9:

Message 10 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.