Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Travel

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Travel

Many have different ways of finding and redeeming for the best value.  Here's how I would start.

1.  Find which airlines have the most flights in your airport.

2.  Decide the route you want to fly. 

3.  Cabin class.

Different airlines all have different values depending on the season.  You'll want to get an idea when and for how much the best value happens to be on the route you want to fly and your the airline of choice.  Then, when you see a flight you want to book, transfer the MR points to the FF program of the airline and book the flight.

You should sign up for all the MR airline partners you may wish to fly with on your choice of routes.  Also, bear in mind fuel charges, fees and Star Alliance transfer opportunities.  It takes a while to get the feel for it, but well worth it once you do.

Message 11 of 60
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

Many have different ways of finding and redeeming for the best value.  Here's how I would start.

3.  Cabin class.

Different airlines all have different values depending on the season.  You'll want to get an idea when and for how much the best value happens to be on the route you want to fly and your the airline of choice.  Then, when you see a flight you want to book, transfer the MR points to the FF program of the airline and book the flight.

You should sign up for all the MR airline partners you may wish to fly with on your choice of routes.  Also, bear in mind fuel charges, fees and Star Alliance transfer opportunities.  It takes a while to get the feel for it, but well worth it once you do.

There is your resource Smiley Very Happy

Thanks Open123

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 12 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

LS not jacking just interested so excuse me the light just went off in head

Whats that?

@Open123 wrote:

3.  Cabin class.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 60
Open123
Super Contributor

The MR partners are members of what they call the Star Alliance or One World.  It's just a group of carriers who have all agreed to allow each other's miles to book on each carrier.  For example, if there's an MR bonus for BA, you can transfer MR points for the bonus for Avios, then use the Avios to book a flight other carriers which may offer more value than BA, given it's high surcharges.

So, if there's a bonus for Aeroplan for example, you can transfer the MR points to Aeroplan for the bonus.  But, since Aeroplan has high fuel charges, you can use the Aero miles to book on other Star Alliance members using the miles for a better value than you otherwise would had you transferred directly without the bonus.

It gets all pretty convoluted, unless you can isolate a carrier, route and time of travel.  Then, you can narrow in on the best opportunities.  Part of the challenge is searching for Star Alliance flights because most carriers won't have it on their site.  You have to call and do it manually.  What I do is use ANA tool which searches on ANA's site for all available Star Alliance flights.  After finding the one I want, then I'll call the airlines for the reservation after transferring the miles.

It takes some effort, but great value can be had from MR points if done opportunisitically.

Message 14 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

The MR partners are members of what they call the Star Alliance or One World.  It's just a group of carriers who have all agreed to allow each other's miles to book on each carrier.  For example, if there's an MR bonus for BA, you can transfer MR points for the bonus for Avios, then use the Avios to book a flight other carriers which may offer more value than BA, given it's high surcharges.

So, if there's a bonus for Aeroplan for example, you can transfer the MR points to Aeroplan for the bonus.  But, since Aeroplan has high fuel charges, you can use the Aero miles to book on other Star Alliance members using the miles for a better value than you otherwise would had you transferred directly without the bonus.

It gets all pretty convoluted, unless you can isolate a carrier, route and time of travel.  Then, you can narrow in on the best opportunities.  Part of the challenge is searching for Star Alliance flights because most carriers won't have it on their site.  You have to call and do it manually.  What I do is use ANA tool which searches on ANA's site for all available Star Alliance flights.  After finding the one I want, then I'll call the airlines for the reservation after transferring the miles.

It takes some effort, but great value can be had from MR points if done opportunisitically.

Thanks open and webhopper now I got it shall we say the light is on/out of the dark 

No one ever breaks it down 1,2,3, format

Now I know register with programs 

select carrier and route 

transfer point 

then book 

easy as 1 2 3 thanks so much

LS sorry we now return you to your scheduled programing Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 15 of 60
Open123
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Thanks open and webhopper now I got it shall we say the light is on/out of the dark 

No one ever breaks it down 1,2,3, format

Now I know register with programs 

select carrier and route 

transfer point 

then book 

easy as 1 2 3 thanks so much

LS sorry we now return you to your scheduled programing Lol

It is pretty easy!  And, it's fun too, at least to me.  Kind of like a treasure hunt, if you will.  LOL

Just *do not* transfer until you're certain you're ready to book.  Once you trasnfer, it can never be returned.  MR points trasnfer instaneously (unlike SPG), so there's never a reason to transfer until the very last moment.

Look at all the FF MR partners.  Sign up and link all the ones you may book flights, then link them to your MR program.  Then, when opportunities arise, you can take advantage of them.  I recall a few years ago, there was a 50% or 100% bonus to transfer to BA!

Message 16 of 60
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

I have 30k miles stuck on Delta during sign up bonus and would like to used for my Asia trip ( VietNam ) ?? is anyway i can transfer it to American Airlines or what my option here ??? When i book at Delta it's almost double the price compare else where ???

Maybe someone would answer my question.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 17 of 60
Open123
Super Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

I have 30k miles stuck on Delta during sign up bonus and would like to used for my Asia trip ( VietNam ) ?? is anyway i can transfer it to American Airlines or what my option here ??? When i book at Delta it's almost double the price compare else where ???

Maybe someone would answer my question.

Airline miles can't be moved out once they are transferred in.  Delta is a part of skyteam, and you can see if you can redeem anything to Vietnam from their members. AA is part of OneWorld, so Delta miles are useless for any AA redemptions.

Message 18 of 60
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Airline miles can't be moved out once they are transferred in.  Delta is a part of skyteam, and you can see if you can redeem anything to Vietnam from their members. AA is part of OneWorld, so Delta miles are useless for any AA redemptions.

so i only can book my ticket through delta .com ??? how much 30k points worth ???

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 19 of 60
Open123
Super Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

so i only can book my ticket through delta .com ??? how much 30k points worth ???

For Delta?  Ah, not much.

Certainly not enough for you to fly to SE Asia.  Can you get more?  If so, you might be able to book something on Skyteam, but you'd need at least 75k - 100k Delta miles for SE Asia, I'd imagine.

Message 20 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.