Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Travel

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Travel

Possibly but I'm not sure about chase UR partners.

I should note that British Airways points can be redeemed for flights on American Airlines.  I have not done this yet... but some members do this.

I just did some research... Both UR points and MR points can be transferred to British Airways.. so you can combine points if you wanted to.

UA points will not transfer to Aeroplan... So you can't combine points but if two people were traveling together you could purchase one ticket with UA points and one ticket with Aeroplan points.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 31 of 60
Open123
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Possibly but I'm not sure about chase UR partners.

I should note that British Airways points can be redeemed for flights on American Airlines.  I have not done this yet... but some members do this.

For short hauls, since both BA and AA are OneWorld, the BA miles are great for redeeming for AA flights, especially for those who have gotten the 100K BA bonus and transferred to BA when MR was offering 50% and 100% (?) transfer bonuses.

UR can only transfer 1:1 to UA, SW and BA.  However, the transfer to UA 1:1 is invaluable, since no other program can transfer to UA 1:1.

Message 32 of 60
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Whats UA? Is that United Airlines? Or U.S. Airways?

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 33 of 60
zeusta20
Established Contributor

All this stuff is so much to remember.lol. I feel like I'm confusing myself...

I'm looking to find out the best way I can get the most out of my points. So bear with me....

Let me get this straight...For me, I have UR with Chase. I have MR with amex too, but I just used all my points. So I'm most likely going to be using my CSP as my main card for UR. In order for me to get the most out of UR, I'd have to transfer to BA, then redeem from BA to AA?? How can I transfer to Aeroplan??

Is that not possible???

Or better question...

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO UTILIZE MY UR POINTS THROUGH CHASE??? lol

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 34 of 60
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You can transfer UR points to United Airline and use them there.

The best way to figure out how to use your points is to look at the points redemption required for the same trip on British Airway, Vs. United.  Go with the one that costs less points... you have to comparison shop

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 35 of 60
zeusta20
Established Contributor

GOTCHA!! Will do! I'll start doing that. I've already earned about 8k points with Rapid Rewards with SW. Just from my past flights with them...I don't like flying SW though. I'd rather fly on a different airline

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 36 of 60
Open123
Super Contributor

@zeusta20 wrote:

It is pretty daunting at first, but it's so much fun and rewarding!

In general:

1.  International premium cabin flights - UA with Star Alliance has excellent redemptions.  For pacific Asia, Cathy with OneWorld has great deals at 90K business class to SE Asia.

2.  Domestic short haul - BA - AA for short flights; SW is great for domestic.  I wouldn't use UA for domestic flights, unless you have no choice.

3. US Airways has some good deals set to expire with the AA merger if you can manage the miles.  90K business class to Asia; 100K for business class to Austraila; and, 140K for First class to Australia.

Figure out where you often fly and your cabin class preference.  This will guide you towards the programs with the most value, and then you can start by earning and transferring the appropriate points.

Message 37 of 60
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@zeusta20 wrote:

It is pretty daunting at first, but it's so much fun and rewarding!

In general:

1.  International premium cabin flights - UA with Star Alliance has excellent redemptions.  For pacific Asia, Cathy with OneWorld has great deals at 90K business class to SE Asia.

2.  Domestic short haul - BA - AA for short flights; SW is great for domestic.  I wouldn't use UA for domestic flights, unless you have no choice.

3. US Airways has some good deals set to expire with the AA merger if you can manage the miles.  90K business class to Asia; 100K for business class to Austraila; and, 140K for First class to Australia.

Figure out where you often fly and your cabin class preference.  This will guide you towards the programs with the most value, and then you can start by earning and transferring the appropriate points.

Oh wow! No way! lol.

Thanks! That is DEF good to know. I've said it before, but I really feel like this is the "rewards" version of "Extreme Couponing" lol.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 38 of 60
elpo9
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

You can use some points and charge the rest.

The real value in booking travel with Amex using your points comes from transferring those points to airline partners to exchange for free tickets Smiley Very Happy

+1 Plus, AMEX offers promos with Delta all the time where you'll get 1.5 miles per MR and/or MQMs for elite status!

NFCU (7000) | Freedom Visa (2400) | DM (2500) | AMEX Plat (7000) | Amazon.com (1800) | GapCard ($750) | Closed: Barclays (1500) | Cap1 ($750) | BoA 1-2-3 Rewards (2500) | Gardening til mid-autumn 2015 for that Delta Platinum AMEX

Starting Score: 608 (2015) 702 (2012), 653 (2011)
Current Score: 685 699 8/6/11 717 8/30/11 712 12/6/11 714 across the board 1/12/12 685 EX FICO 3/1/14
2018 Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 39 of 60
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@elpo9 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

You can use some points and charge the rest.

The real value in booking travel with Amex using your points comes from transferring those points to airline partners to exchange for free tickets Smiley Very Happy

+1 Plus, AMEX offers promos with Delta all the time where you'll get 1.5 miles per MR and/or MQMs for elite status!

Hmmm, really?? I haven't seen those promos yet. I'm going to have to keep an eye out on the amex website for these.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 40 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.