Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Travel

tag
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Travel

Also you can transfer your MR points to anybody's frequent flyer account ( AMEX MR program partners )

Message 51 of 60
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

I have another question...

If DH gets approved for his own charge card in the future... can he and I share an MR program number?

Ahh Tulsa.. I am there every month :-)

MR program attached to account, if you add your DH as an additional used than only you guys can share the same MR account.

Right now he is AU on both PRG and Zync, but eventually I want him to have his own amex for rebuilding purposes. He loves paying with the charge card, because there is no risk to accumulate debt.  Also, the rewards are nice.

That's good to know about transferring MR points to anyone's FF program.  That's a nifty way to combine points.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 52 of 60
Open123
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

That's good to know about transferring MR points to anyone's FF program.  That's a nifty way to combine points.

Technically, this a violation of Amex's MR "terms and conditions," but in the States, it is *never* enforced.  In other countries, this is strictly enforced, similar to what Chase is now doing with the transferring of UR points.

Good thread and example of how to use MR points.  It's important to keep vigilant for bonus transfers since they can happen at any time.  I still remember how stunned I was last year when the bonus to transfer to BA was 50% or 100%.

I think towards 3rd quarter, we'll see some really nice MR bonus transfer opportunities.

Message 53 of 60
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Technically, this a violation of Amex's MR "terms and conditions," but in the States, it is *never* enforced.  In other countries, this is strictly enforced, similar to what Chase is now doing with the transferring of UR points.

Good thread and example of how to use MR points.  It's important to keep vigilant for bonus transfers since they can happen at any time.  I still remember how stunned I was last year when the bonus to transfer to BA was 50% or 100%.

I think towards 3rd quarter, we'll see some really nice MR bonus transfer opportunities.

Yeah the current 35% seems kind of meh in comparison. 

Message 54 of 60
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

When booking through AMEX travel and you want to use MR points to pay do you have to have the whole amount needed or can you use some points and then charge the rest????

I thought Mega Contributors knew everything...lol...Smiley Wink. Just kidding...I am very new to AMEX and don't know much about how to maximize benefits and I appreciate when someone asks a question that had not even occured to me...so thank you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 55 of 60
Open123
Super Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

Yeah the current 35% seems kind of meh in comparison. 

Right, especially considering Chase was offering 100K Avios to anyone willing to apply and spend $2,500 in 3 months.  Combine this with the 50K MR bonus for the PRG, one could easily have amassed 200K Avios for merely regular spending.

Message 56 of 60
LS2982
Mega Contributor

OK got a trip in mind and need to know whats the best route on it:

Want to go to Tampa 11/20 and return 11/26. The prices I got on AMEX travel are around $600 for 2 people. United seemed to be the best deal. They quoted around 29,000 MR points for it.

I like SW tho (no bag fees). Is there a way to get it with them using MR points?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 57 of 60
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

IIRC, Southwest doesn't have any airline partners except AirTran, so MR points wouldn't work there.
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 58 of 60
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@sengpatt wrote:
IIRC, Southwest doesn't have any airline partners except AirTran, so MR points wouldn't work there.

OK I was thinking that because the AMEX site didnt show SW at all Smiley Sad

So is there a way to get the flight cheaper to make room for the bag fees?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 59 of 60
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Delta? I fly in and out of Tampa all the time as it's the closest airport. However Delta is the worst with reward flights and charges for bags so scratch that idea...

Message 60 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.