cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Zync Cardholder, Just Approved for Amex Platinum - Some details from my CSR talk...

tag
Alcibiades
Contributor

AMEX Zync Cardholder, Just Approved for Amex Platinum - Some details from my CSR talk...

My Amez Zync card is approaching its annual renewal in a couple of months, so I decided to call AMEX to see what I should do given the card has been discontinued. Here are a few important points:

1) The Zync card will continue to renew every year until a user cancels it... I didn't ask about the card expiration date, but I guess cards may expire at that point with no renewal

2) You cannot change Packs or add new Packs, but all packs that were elected at the time of discontinuation are still in place. Importantly, these Packs will automatically renew after every year until the card is cancelled, and cardholders will continue to get the benefit. So, if you are paying for a Restaurant or a Connect Pack, those packs WILL renew, and you will continue to get double points in those categories.

3) AMEX is still not doing "product changes" from the Zync to other charge cards. I was given the option to apply for a new charge account, which I did.

After this conversation, I applied for the Platinum online (which I was planning on doing anyway) and was approved (nice!). I run $3-$5K through the Zync card monthly, which I assume helped with my application. The kicker for me is that I plan on keeping the Zync card until it expires. Why? Because my Restaurant, Connect and Travel Packs still get me double points on my Zync, and now given I have a Platinum, all of my points are now full Membership Rewards instead of Express Points.

This is why I ultimately think Zync was cancelled...

1) No one knew about the card - to this day, people are still shocked by a "white Amex"

2) At the low end, some cardholders may have defaulted given it was seen as an "in" to Amex for those with lower scores

3) At the high end, the card is a money loser for Amex because with two AMEX charge cards can earn double MR points on select categories with a modest annual fee.

Overall, I like the idea of selecting my own reward structure. I prefer points precisely on the spending I chose - dining, airfare and communciations, as opposed to the standard gas and groceries offered by other cards. I hope that Amex or some other card issuer offers a dining/travel oriented cards with an attractive points structure in the future.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
colindidit
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync Cardholder, Just Approved for Amex Platinum - Some details from my CSR talk...

Damn i was hoping eventually for a PC...oh well,.ill app for a different AMEX eventually

Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 2 of 28
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Zync Cardholder, Just Approved for Amex Platinum - Some details from my CSR talk...

I was approved for PR gold and will be keeping my zync. I just got back from norther Europe... Sweden and Denmark. Of all the cards in my wallet amex was the most widely accepted. I didn't find a merchant that wouldn't take it. Discover didn't work despite the merchant having China unionpay network indicated on the storefront. Visa and mastercard were accepted but I found that the merchants would take one or the other; not both.

I am definately planning on keeping amex in my wallet for any future overseas travel.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 28
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I remember reading that an Amex CSR said they would issue new cards so I assume when expiration is near I will get new card. Otherwise mine will die 10/1/16.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 28
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
I was approved for PR gold and will be keeping my zync. I just got back from norther Europe... Sweden and Denmark. Of all the cards in my wallet amex was the most widely accepted. I didn't find a merchant that wouldn't take it. Discover didn't work despite the merchant having China unionpay network indicated on the storefront. Visa and mastercard were accepted but I found that the merchants would take one or the other; not both.

I am definately planning on keeping amex in my wallet for any future overseas travel.

Does the PRG have a FTF?

Oh and that means anyone with the ECO pack gets double points at walmart for the life of the card. Sweet!

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 5 of 28
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I asked about the PC from Zynce to other card 2 weeks ago and she said I was not eligible but it was possible. Smiley Indifferent

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 28
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Does the PRG have a FTF?

Oh and that means anyone with the ECO pack gets double points at walmart for the life of the card. Sweet!

Yes it does. The only Amex cards with no forex are platinum and centurion. These are also the only cards with an EMV chip as well.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 28
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I to decided to keep my Zync despite my Gold PRG approval, since I have the restaurant pack.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 8 of 28
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats on the approvals and thanks for sharing the info !  Smiley Happy

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 28
trishdadish
Regular Contributor

Are all Zyncs not PCable, or is it just the Zyncs that had a credit limit assigned to them? I read somewhere on here that the NPSL Zyncs could (at least, at some point in time) be product changed. Inquiring minds want to know...Smiley LOL

although, with the crazy back-dating that I got when I finally got an Amex again, it might be smarter to just open up a revolving AMEX, when the time comes. i think that doing that would have the least amount of impact on my AAOA.

All 3 bureaus (per Amex CreditSecure FAKO) are still 748 (as of 12/19/13). Cards: Discover It, $12,100, Chase Freedom $3,300, Chase Amazon $1,500, Walmart store $11,000, AMEX Zync NPSL, Costco Amex $14,700. US. Bank Cash +, $5,000. AMEX SPG $6,000, PenFed Plat. Cash Rewards $17,500, PenFed P-LOC $10,000, Citi Forward $5,100, Chase Slate $5,000, Old Navy, $2,200.
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.