Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Zync PC Options

tag
cabronsaim
Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync PC Options

I just PC my Amex gold to PRG, i did it online, i will not be getting the 25k promo because its a PC, thats only valid with a new separate app.
Im still happy tough, i use my card a lot on gas and i certainly plan on running 30k+, so that will bonus me an extra 15k miles next year, effectively making up for the AF Smiley Happy
3/30/12: EX: 680 TU:667 EQ: 655
4/14/12: EX: 680 TU:678 EQ: 670

BOFA: 0/1k / CAP1: 0/1.75k / CITI: 700/2k / AMEX Gold:NPSL
Message 11 of 23
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

i haven't heard anything about the rewards being removed ,but they did disc the packs and issued refunds for any packs you had, i had the connect and saw the refund earlier this week.  i am in no hurry to PC either since all the other charge cards AF start @95. Overall i been disappointed by AMX because they did away w/ the MR mall now its just point per dollar. i will wait till im forced to change or hike up the AF on zync but its def. going to see alot less use  now. i am only keeping it with the hopes of PC to BCE and get backdating next year sometime after all but 1 of my negs will be gone

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 12 of 23
Scene
Regular Contributor

Are they discontinuing the Zync entirely? I noticed it is not even offered on the website anymore.

Message 13 of 23
Alcibiades
Contributor

I attempted to close my Zync today, but was given a retention offer of $20 or 3,000 MR points. I took the MR points. The MR points are worth at least $0.01 per point, so I gain $5 above the annual fee. Plus, the CSR maintains that Zync spending will still get 1 MR point per dollar. I think I will just keep my recurring expenses (cable, cell phone, newspapers, etc) on my Zync card and sockdrawer it. I will bring it out during Small Business Saturday to get the credits offered there. No plans on trying to do a PC given I have a Platinum already and I don't want to pay a fee for the PRG this year. 

Message 14 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Scene wrote:

Are they discontinuing the Zync entirely? I noticed it is not even offered on the website anymore.

AFAIK you can't apply for it but I think they are slowly phasing it out....possibly by end of the year/beggining of '14 making cardholders PC.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

Alcibiades wroteSmiley Tonguelus, the CSR maintains that Zync spending will still get 1 MR point per dollar. 

So long as it keeps earning MR points, I'd keep the Zync and not upgrade until I've accrued enough MRE points where I can book a nice flight through the MR program.  

In the future, the way to go is Senior Member Green for $35 + Blue.

Message 16 of 23
lazylane
New Contributor

I saw this on twitter:

Smiley Mad

Message 17 of 23
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

Different people have gotten different responses from the AskAmex twitter account.  It varies just as much as the telephone CSR answers.

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: Discover TU: 829 Discover EX: 827
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 830!!
Message 18 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@lazylane wrote:

I saw this on twitter:

Smiley Mad

Smiley Very Happy

I would just say call in at the beginning of the month. These people cant seem to get a solid date set.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 19 of 23
p-
Valued Contributor

Can normal membership points be used for everyday charges like the MR Express points?

My wife is using the Unicorn card for reimburseable gas expenses right now.  I am running the numbers on whether or not I should PC to something else.

I really like having a charge card that doesn't impact utilization.  We make enough that a few dollars in rewards is not a big windfall for us, but at the same time I don't want to be in the red on the annual fee.  Also, the NPSL is nice in case we have a month where there are significant travel expenses.  She spends a minimum of 500 per month on gas.  With the Zync, 6k a year in spending equates to less than 40 bucks in cashback.  More than enough to cover the 25 dollar AF, but not much else.  There are a few card benefits, plus the wow factor of flashing a unicorn.  

If I spring for the PRG, she gets double points on gas for 12,000 minimum points per year.  That's 120 bucks towards the 195 dollar fee, meaning I have to come up with 7,500 or 625 a month more in single point spending just to break even, or increase gas spending to 812.  Probably not worth it.

The Gold Card is only 125, but I lose the double points on gas.  So I end up with 60 bucks towards the fee, less than half of it.  I have to spend a grand a month to break even.

The Green Card is 95, so I have to spend 800 a month to break even.

If I have analyzed this correctly, I should keep the Unicorn until the gas spending on the card hits 800.  At that point, the return on the green and PRG are close enough.

Am I missing anything important?

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.