Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Zync getting $500 spending limit removed

tag
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

AMEX Zync getting $500 spending limit removed

A few months back i was approved for the Zync card but with the $500 limit, i was extremely happy to finally get a card from amex...... however i am now beginning to feel the restriction of the limit as i am only able to make small purchases with the card.

For example i am planning a trip to NYC and i am unable to book the hotel with the AMEX since the hotel will cost $1500 (7 Days), considering that this is my only card that offers rewards i will be missing out on a lot of points by not booking with the amex, instead i will need to book with my Wells Fargo debit card which offers no rewards of any kind.

So does anyone know of any tactics to get amex to remove the cap? are they unwilling to even talk about it before a certain period of time?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Zync getting $500 spending limit removed

If you have the cash on hand you can try calling in to see if they will allow you to pay in advance and book the entire stay on your card.

Message 2 of 9
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Why did they give you the $500 limit?

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 3 of 9
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

Mostly due to the fact that my score was in the low 600's.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Denny33142 wrote:

A few months back i was approved for the Zync card but with the $500 limit, i was extremely happy to finally get a card from amex...... however i am now beginning to feel the restriction of the limit as i am only able to make small purchases with the card.

For example i am planning a trip to NYC and i am unable to book the hotel with the AMEX since the hotel will cost $1500 (7 Days), considering that this is my only card that offers rewards i will be missing out on a lot of points by not booking with the amex, instead i will need to book with my Wells Fargo debit card which offers no rewards of any kind.

So does anyone know of any tactics to get amex to remove the cap? are they unwilling to even talk about it before a certain period of time?

Did you try telling them what you told us?

Message 5 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If you have only had the card for a few months then it is too soon for them to remove the hard limit.   They might remove it at 6 months, or a year, it will happen whenever you meet their internal requirements, whatever those are.....

One thing you could try is sending in a large payment ahead of time, then that might allow you to make the $1500 charge.   I'm not certain if this will work, so I would recommend calling them first.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 9
dude11
Regular Contributor

I have had the card for 1 year as of this month and I had called them one month ago about removing the preset limit. I was told that you can't or they can't put in a request to remove the limit. They basically will remove it when they feel like it. They review your account every few months and will determine when they may remove it. If you have the money you could temporarily increase the limit to make the purchase by adding the amount you wish to make the purchase for. Hope this helps.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 friend with zync was told the exact same thing with his 1500 limit when he called. Were going on vacation and I told him the rental car and hotel alone will be more so you might want to call them. He did with me beside him but got nowhere. 

Message 8 of 9
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

The limiting limit, if you will, of the "autopay Zync" is the only downfall to the card, IMO.  I know that over the long term, how AmEx views one's usage of this card could be a contributing factor to whether or not they are approved for other AmEx products once their credit profile improves.  The question is, who knows how long that timeframe is and are you willing to wait to find out?  I'd say one of the redeeming factors of the autopay Zync is the fact that 1) you can make multiple payments throughout the month--essentially every 24 hours and 2) those payments are credited to your account instantaneously.  So despite the low limit you can replenish the card anytime you need to without feeling the crunch of having depleted your available limit.  Those factors make the low limit very tolerable.  As I've posted in another thread, I have yet to read of any Zync autopay conversion stories anywhere--where the hard limit was removed or the card was upgraded, so maybe AmEx instituted the autopay Zync as their "high-class" rebuilder card, if you will.  I believe that once you've established a repoire with AmEx via this card, you should probably just app for another one of their products.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.