Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Zync

tag
birjest
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Zync

Ok, I am part of the dying breed of the Zync card.  Now, I hear many who said the MRE is not good.  Well, since we had this card, I have redeemed $50 cards to Cheese Cake, PF Cheng, and Ruth Chris Steakhouse.  As far as I am concern, the Zync is good for something...

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync

I love my Zync!!! Im very disappointex they are cancelling the packs! Im really hoping they keep it alive for at least a year I cant get another card right now.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Well, I would like to see how long AMEX is going to keep this card in existence...

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 3 of 10
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

The Amex Zync was/is great for non-travelers who wanted/wants a low AF charge card. The Zync was geared for the younger generation who most likely aren't traveling to take advantage at the higher tier charge cards/travel cards, and just want a rewards card. It's really unfair to compare the Zync to something it was never intended for. It's MRE is redeemable at a 1:1 ratio for giftcards. MRE isn't valuable towards travel (e,g., you'll need 100,000 MRE points to pay for for a $400 dollar plane ticket via Amex Travel site, whereas you would only need 40,000 MR points to redeem the same plane ticket). That's the main difference between MRE and MR points. The Zync wasn't for travel. Plain and simple. But was/is it good for other stuff? Yup. 

For example, I have used 10,000 points towards a $100 gift card for Barnesandnoble.  I love books. I buy most of them at amazon.com, but I shop at barnesandnoble from time to time. I got a whole bunch of books using this gift card. My next gift card will be towards Banana Republic. 

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 4 of 10
jm00ser
Regular Contributor

Hmm, I'll have to see what gift certificate vendor grabs my attention. I've been stockpiling points for a while...

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Message 5 of 10
Alcibiades
Contributor

Those with a stockpile of Membership Rewards Express points from the Zync should consider applying for a Green or PremierRewards Gold card. If you are accepted, your MRE points convert to full Membership Rewards points, opening your points up for transfer to hotel and airline partners as well as making them more valuable for the various Pay With Points features. The Green adn PRG

Message 6 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Alcibiades wrote:

Those with a stockpile of Membership Rewards Express points from the Zync should consider applying for a Green or PremierRewards Gold card. If you are accepted, your MRE points convert to full Membership Rewards points, opening your points up for transfer to hotel and airline partners as well as making them more valuable for the various Pay With Points features. The Green adn PRG

I really want to especially another charge card but I fear they will decline for high util. right now..........

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Alcibiades wrote:

That only applies if you travel.  I know my life is incredibly boring from even my perspective, but I booked my first hotel for an overnight trip in literally six years and that doesn't involve an airplane either; MR just don't do much for me.   I can't justify the AF on either the Green or PRG just to use my MRE; if Amex notifies me they're cancelling the Zync altogether, then I may consider it, but I'm more likely to exchange them for gift certificates for restaurants I will undoubtedly frequent again in the future whenever I start dating again.  On the flip side, if the theoretical significant other enjoys travelling, then maybe my lifestyle changes and I can justify it, but as of now, it's just not the case.

        
Message 8 of 10
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Alcibiades wrote:

I really want to especially another charge card but I fear they will decline for high util. right now..........

You should give it a shot. I got approved for Platinum with over 90% util. Yours cant be that bad Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Alcibiades wrote:

You should give it a shot. I got approved for Platinum with over 90% util. Yours cant be that bad Smiley Happy

I'm at 27% but thats with 68,000 in total credit. I think the apps can wait for a year. Smiley Happy Thanks tho!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.