Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX and "Pay From" Accounts

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

AMEX and "Pay From" Accounts

My PRG statement just cut and i want to pay it from a different bank account this month. Just covering my butt and asking if it's a flag to change "pay from" accounts every once in awhile seeing as i use 2 banks and 2 CUs and it's xmas and i'm poorer than usual.

I really hate stressing over American Express.

my spend is pretty low on the card (last month $1800, this month $775) so i'm sure they could care less about my business. I'm thinking i might do as i do, pay as i pay, live as i live, spend as i spend. If they ever make it a chore to carry their cards (as they do some) then my MSD is set maybe i can use them down the road.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX and "Pay From" Accounts

@elim wrote:

My PRG statement just cut and i want to pay it from a different bank account this month. Just covering my butt and asking if it's a flag to change "pay from" accounts every once in awhile seeing as i use 2 banks and 2 CUs and it's xmas and i'm poorer than usual.

my spend is pretty low on the card (last month $1800, this month $775) so i'm sure they could care less about my business. I'm thinking i might do as i do, pay as i pay, live as i live, spend as i spend. If they ever make it a chore to carry their cards (as they do some) then my MSD is set maybe i can use them down the road.

Stressing over nothing.  They don't care where you pay from as long as you pay.  Many people have multiple bank accounts so I'm sure it's not unusual for people to use more than one to pay AE

Message 2 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@elim wrote:

Stressing over nothing.  They don't care where you pay from as long as you pay.  Many people have multiple bank accounts so I'm sure it's not unusual for people to use more than one to pay AE

+1

I was pushing the balance on my Delta card several months ago and in order to PIF by the due date, I had to set three different payments, between the time the statement issued and the due date, because they only let you set up one payment (other than autopay, which I wasn't on) at a time. So set a payment from one bank, wait a few days for it to pay, log in to AMEX again to set another payment from bank 2, wait a few days for it to pay, then set the third payment from bank #3.

Either right before or soon after I got the $1k auto increase, then no issues with the 3x CLI a month ago, and they keep sending me "Thanks for using your card" texts on my iPhone app. AMEX wants all the paying customers it can get.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 7
elim
Senior Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@elim wrote:

+1

I was pushing the balance on my Delta card several months ago and in order to PIF by the due date, I had to set three different payments, between the time the statement issued and the due date, because they only let you set up one payment (other than autopay, which I wasn't on) at a time. So set a payment from one bank, wait a few days for it to pay, log in to AMEX again to set another payment from bank 2, wait a few days for it to pay, then set the third payment from bank #3.

Either right before or soon after I got the $1k auto increase, then no issues with the 3x CLI a month ago, and they keep sending me "Thanks for using your card" texts on my iPhone app. AMEX wants all the paying customers it can get.

Nice!!!

lol, maybe i'll use all 4

Message 4 of 7
elim
Senior Contributor

i'm really going to test them... I just made the $800 payment on primary from my AU's bank. I got the "Thank you for payment" msg so may be good to go.

anyway I could easily replace AMEX with a 4 letter word...    "USAA"

i can send them scrap metal for a payment and they wont FR me.      original[1].gif

Message 5 of 7
taxi818
Super Contributor

@elim wrote:

Its really no big deal. i have 3 accounts there. so i will switch all the time. whichever one has enough fundsSmiley Very HappyHonestly i don't beleive Amex looks at where you pay from as long as you pay. you are golden in their eyes. my question why charging so much on the charge. even 1800. are those MR points that valuble. as im not seeing it. i hear all talking of points . but i just want miles. anyway. good luck

Message 6 of 7
elim
Senior Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@elim wrote:

Its really no big deal. i have 3 accounts there. so i will switch all the time. whichever one has enough fundsSmiley Very HappyHonestly i don't beleive Amex looks at where you pay from as long as you pay. you are golden in their eyes. my question why charging so much on the charge. even 1800. are those MR points that valuble. as im not seeing it. i here all talking of points . but i just want miles. anyway. good luck

believe it or not, 2% PRG is my heavy hitter on gas and groceries  :[

2X points at US gas stations

2X points at US supermarkets 

yeah they transfer pretty good to miles and we travel a lot

next year im collecting 3x and 5x cards if all goes as planned.

edit: although my 50k+ UR's are sitting pretty and ready to use for some time now and my 50k+ MR's are still at 0 and still pending (i applied for both cards on 10-10) so they are slow it seems.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.