cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX - apps are hard pulls for members?

tag
bbrannan
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX - apps are hard pulls for members?

I am curious. I was under the impression that denied apps were soft pulls as well once you are a member. This was not my case. 2 weeks ago, I apped (and was approved) for a Zync NPSL. Upon approval, I decided that I would go ahead and app for the Blue. I checked the next day and they not only pulled EX again but they also pulled TU. And then denied my app. What happened? Am I an exception to the rule? I can understand them denying me if they did not feel that I was creditworthy to have the Blue, but could they not have determined that with a SP?

Cards: AMEX Zync NPSL, AMEX BCE, NFCU LOC $15K, NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards $14K, NFCU Flagship Visa Signature $14K, USAA Platinum M/C $3.5K, USAA AMEX $2K, Capital One Cash Rewards $3.5K, WalMart $10K, Lowes $10K, Home Depot $8250, Amazon $4K, Discover IT $1K

Starting Score: EX: 570 EQ: 520 TU 602
Current Score: AMEX EX:717 MyFico EQ 688 Walmart TU 749 MyFico TU 740
Goal Score: 750+ across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 16
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Did you apply for the blue on getting same day as the Zync? I'm not 100% sure, but I think that others have reported that multiple apps on the same day are not always one pull. In other words ymmv. EX may wind up removing one of the inqs as a duplicate, maybe someone else can chime in on that.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 12 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@bbrannan wrote:

I am curious. I was under the impression that denied apps were soft pulls as well once you are a member. This was not my case. 2 weeks ago, I apped (and was approved) for a Zync NPSL. Upon approval, I decided that I would go ahead and app for the Blue. I checked the next day and they not only pulled EX again but they also pulled TU. And then denied my app. What happened? Am I an exception to the rule? I can understand them denying me if they did not feel that I was creditworthy to have the Blue, but could they not have determined that with a SP?

Did you apply within 24 hours and within a calendar day? My guess is that EX is duplicate and TU HP is from Zync.

What happened is that when you applied Zync, your credit history was borderline. So AMEX not only HP EX, but AMEX HP TU as well (and I highly suspect AMEX HP EQ too, AMEX is known to HP all three when applicant is borderline). My guess is that second EX HP is duplicate, unless you did not apply within 24 hours and a calendar day.

Message 13 of 16
bbrannan
Regular Contributor

I applied for the Zync late on a Saturday night (Sept 8th.) and was approved. On the following Monday (Sept 10th) I apped for the Blue and got the "processing" message. I checked my online status the next day and saw I was denied.  Not sure if this info helps, but those inquiries are dated 2 days later than the pulls for the Zync on my reports. By the way - I was mistaken. They pulled all 3 reports for the second pull.

Cards: AMEX Zync NPSL, AMEX BCE, NFCU LOC $15K, NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards $14K, NFCU Flagship Visa Signature $14K, USAA Platinum M/C $3.5K, USAA AMEX $2K, Capital One Cash Rewards $3.5K, WalMart $10K, Lowes $10K, Home Depot $8250, Amazon $4K, Discover IT $1K

Message 14 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

It has to been within one calendar day. Inquiries don't show up on your credit report right away.

Message 15 of 16
bbrannan
Regular Contributor

Actually, yes - credit reports can show up almost instantly. I have seen pulls show up on my credit reports within hours of an app. But regardless, I was just curious about the multiple HP's. I absolutely cannot app for anything else for the next 7 months as I am aiming for that mortgage at the start of next summer. At least I am in with AMEX now.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.