Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX backdate between personal & business

tag
etothejomegan
Valued Member

AMEX backdate between personal & business

There have been numerous threads on AMEX backdating, but I don't think this is answered conclusively.

If a person used to have a personal card, and now applies for a business card, does the business card get backdated to the personal member since date?

If a person used to have a business card, and now applies for a personal card, does the personal card get backdated to the business member since date?

I am particularly interested in the Costco AMEX version.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
DI
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX backdate between personal & business

@etothejomegan wrote:

There have been numerous threads on AMEX backdating, but I don't think this is answered conclusively.

If a person used to have a personal card, and now applies for a business card, does the business card get backdated to the personal member since date? NO

If a person used to have a business card, and now applies for a personal card, does the personal card get backdated to the business member since date? NO

I am particularly interested in the Costco AMEX version.

Thanks.

Not a definate no.  Sometimes you can call up AMEX, and if you get the right agent, anything can happen. 

Message 2 of 14
stefanc
Regular Contributor

My Costco TE biz card was backdated to my personal date - I did call and ask.
Message 3 of 14
DI
Super Contributor

@stefanc wrote:
My Costco TE biz card was backdated to my personal date - I did call and ask.

That's great!  Is it going to be reflected in your credit reports as well? 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure what is true in general, but I can share my personal experience. I assume by business you mean small business and not corporate? My father added me as an AU on a small business card (Delta skymiles) in ~2004. Last year I applied for a personal charge card, which was backdated to date of the AU business card. (The card itself has a member since date of 2010, while the AMEX website and all of my credit reports show 2004.)

Message 5 of 14
android01
Valued Contributor

My AMEX Business Platinum was opened in 2001 and is backdated to my personal cards (1986).  All cards show 1986 and so does the AMEX website when I log in.  My Business account does NOT show up on my personal CR's, however.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 6 of 14
DI
Super Contributor

Someone help me understand this.  Which is more important?  Having a new card  showing the backdated date? Or having the backdated date reported to the CRAs.  This thread got me confuse.   IMO having the backdated date reported to the CRAs is more important. 

Message 7 of 14
etothejomegan
Valued Member

Having the older date reported to the CRA is more important, but there seems to be a very strong correlation between the two based on past forum posts.

Message 8 of 14
DI
Super Contributor

@etothejomegan wrote:

Having the older date reported to the CRA is more important, but there seems to be a very strong correlation between the two based on past forum posts.

I'll be able to confirm my findings when I see how my new account post to elaborate more on this subject. 

Message 9 of 14
android01
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:

Someone help me understand this.  Which is more important?  Having a new card  showing the backdated date? Or having the backdated date reported to the CRAs.  This thread got me confuse.   IMO having the backdated date reported to the CRAs is more important. 

IMO, reporting to the CRA's is the only reason any of us cares about backdating.  It helps AAoA, which helps us mitigate the hit to AAoA (and scores) when we apply for new credit.  Why else would we care?  I would bet that people like us (who frequent these forums) are the only ones who even care about AAoA or even know what it is!  Smiley Very Happy  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.