Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX denied me a student card!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX denied me a student card!

thevariable wrote:

Quick question, I'm a student that also want to get in with Amex, but I want the Gold Card. Would the qualifications be similar for that of the Green? I don't mind the higher AF and I want the better application bonus points and access to Gold Card Events. I'll probably be pushing about 7 or 8k a month through the card (my school takes credit card payments). My Experian Plus score is a 723, but after this month's statements cut, it should go up, because I'll get my utilization down to right about 5% (it's at 17%, now).

My opinion only.

If you want the Gold, get the Green first.  Then upgrade to the Gold after you have pushed that 7-8K a month through it for a few months and shown them how you intend to use it.  The charge cards have "no pre-set spending limit", but they do have a limit on them that is based primarily on your spending patterns.  Once you get the card, use it for everything you can for a few months to let them know you mean business and establish a relatively high "secret limit."  The Gold should be a snap by that point.

Once you have the Green, they LOVE IT if you call and "warn" them before you use it for any major purchase.  This will also ensure that your won't get declined for exceeding your "secret limit."

When you upgrade, make sure they upgrade your existing card instead of opening a new account.

Amex will love you for 5% utilization.

The rumors of the significance of EX PLUS scores are greatly exaggerated. Smiley Tongue

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow... after researching AMEX's student cards, I am just super pissed off!

People without ANY history WHATSOEVER get approved with Amex student cards!

I have history and that history is completely clean and I got a big fat DECLINE!

I haven't received a response from my Planet Feedback letter yet... if I don't hear anything in the next week I'll be calling!

At first I was like "Oh.. well it's AMEX.. I'll try again in a few months".. but after actually researching this, I am just shocked! How can a student with a 699 fico be denied? It's just mind-boggling.

---

I was doing more research... and it seems like Clear isn't hard to get? Does anyone think I'll have and luck with Clear? I'm trying to hard to figure it out. After going through many credit card message boards, SO many people get approved with AMEX with scores less than mine!

Message Edited by lotero89 on 02-22-2008 11:31 PM
Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

lotero89 wrote:
I was doing more research... and it seems like Clear isn't hard to get? Does anyone think I'll have and luck with Clear? I'm trying to hard to figure it out. After going through many credit card message boards, SO many people get approved with AMEX with scores less than mine!

Clear is about the same as Blue Cash.
Blue Cash and Clear are harder than Blue.
Blue is harder than Delta.
Delta is about the same as Hilton HHonors and Green.

Message Edited by cheddar on 02-23-2008 09:14 AM
Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, a few days ago I was messing with AMEX's pre-approval website and was pre-approved for Blue... so I decided.. what the heck? Let me try.

My status has been pending.. and I need to verify my address.

I just called... he called my bank to confirm my address and I was APPROVED FOR A REGULAR BLUE AMEX CARD!!!

CL: $1000.

How does this make ANY sense?! AMEX HAS GONE NUTS!

Smiley Happy
Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

lotero89 wrote:
Well, a few days ago I was messing with AMEX's pre-approval website and was pre-approved for Blue... so I decided.. what the heck? Let me try.

My status has been pending.. and I need to verify my address.

I just called... he called my bank to confirm my address and I was APPROVED FOR A REGULAR BLUE AMEX CARD!!!

CL: $1000.

How does this make ANY sense?! AMEX HAS GONE NUTS!

Smiley Happy

I agree it makes zero sense, but congratulations anyway!

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

I felt SO stupid for applying for the regular BLUE card after the fact... I was just thinking.. "There's noooo way I'll get this card if I got denied the student card.. NOOOOO way."

So I felt incredibly stupid for even trying.. wasting an inquiry, it was mostly impulse.

I was amazed it even said to call them to verify my address... because I assumed that I was most likely going to get approved if they bothered to confirm anything.

So I called.. he said they need to verify my address... we can either three-way call my bank or he can send out a form. Of course I chose calling the bank option. He didn't even need connect me, he said he verified with my bank and that I was approved.

I asked what my credit line is and he said "Well, $1000 but that can easily go up in a few months." I was just thinking "That is QUITE alright." Smiley Happy

I am in shock.
Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool- 
If you can wait 6 months before requesting the CLI do it-

lotero89 wrote:
Thanks!

I felt SO stupid for applying for the regular BLUE card after the fact... I was just thinking.. "There's noooo way I'll get this card if I got denied the student card.. NOOOOO way."

So I felt incredibly stupid for even trying.. wasting an inquiry, it was mostly impulse.

I was amazed it even said to call them to verify my address... because I assumed that I was most likely going to get approved if they bothered to confirm anything.

So I called.. he said they need to verify my address... we can either three-way call my bank or he can send out a form. Of course I chose calling the bank option. He didn't even need connect me, he said he verified with my bank and that I was approved.

I asked what my credit line is and he said "Well, $1000 but that can easily go up in a few months." I was just thinking "That is QUITE alright." Smiley Happy

I am in shock.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.