Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX dropping several benefits on BCE

tag
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

AMEX dropping several benefits on BCE

I was just looking over my last statement from AMEX, and noticed several notices about AMEX dropping benefits on the BCE:

* Roadside Assistance Hotline

* Travel Accident Insurance

* Extended Warranty

* Purchase Protection (decreased from 120 days to 90 days)

* Return Protection

The only one that really bothers me is the Extended Warranty, but it is still concerning to see all these benefits dropped. Is this affecting just the Blue Cash Everyday, or is it affecting all of AMEX's lineup?

FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX dropping several benefits on BCE

I love my BCE. I don't use any of these benefits (or the benefits of any card for that matter lol) so I don't personally mind the changes. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I love my BCE. I don't use any of these benefits (or the benefits of any card for that matter lol) so I don't personally mind the changes. 

Why do you love it?  From my point of view (which in my mind is objective truth) it isn't very exciting.   A capped 3% on supermarkets, with a much more restricted definition of supermarkets than some Visa cards, an extra month's delay in rewards posting, and a $25 minimum redemption.   So what's the plus side!   Amex offers?  Growth?  (I guess we are different because you love the DC too!)

Message 3 of 42
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Related discussion:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-premium-cards-adding-Trip-Insurance/td-p/5753040

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 42
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Why do you love it?  From my point of view (which in my mind is objective truth) it isn't very exciting.   A capped 3% on supermarkets, with a much more restricted definition of supermarkets than some Visa cards, an extra month's delay in rewards posting, and a $25 minimum redemption.   So what's the plus side!   Amex offers?  Growth?  (I guess we are different because you love the DC too!)

While not a bad card, it certainly was a dubious app for me.

I used a link intended for new-to-Amex customers (I had a PRG) in 2014 and didn't get a bonus (the app link told me it might happen but I didn't take the notice seriously). Then a few weeks later I got a Sallie Mae.

I used a few offers over the years, but nothing too amazing. I would actually use it to select offers I had no interest in to give me a clearer view of new offers on my preferred Amex cards as they appeared. The "lousy" offers just later happened to come into use.

The value has most been since upgrading: $250 before the AF, 6% on groceries, and ~$7k in no-fee Plans.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 42
BH1985
Regular Contributor

Does the secondary auto insurance remain on this card?

Message 6 of 42
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

When you say secondary insurance, I assume you mean the rental car insurance. AFAIK that's still available; at least my statement didn't specifically call it out as being phased out or downgraded.

I got the 'cash' bonus for signing up in my first month of having the card, and I'm still in the intro 0% APR. So for me the card is still a net win. 

Does the Blue Cash Preferred keep some of these benefits? Once the intro APR runs out I may look into upgrading.

FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 7 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@8bitmachinegun wrote:

When you say secondary insurance, I assume you mean the rental car insurance. AFAIK that's still available; at least my statement didn't specifically call it out as being phased out or downgraded.

I got the 'cash' bonus for signing up in my first month of having the card, and I'm still in the intro 0% APR. So for me the card is still a net win. 

Does the Blue Cash Preferred keep some of these benefits? Once the intro APR runs out I may look into upgrading.

No, the BCP got the same benefit cuts

Message 8 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

I agree.  The card holds little value to me outside of being my highest limit card, which is one of the main reasons I keep it open to be honest.  Any 3-2-1 card in my view quickly becomes just a "3" card assuming you have a 2% card already that covers your "2-1" stuff.  That being said, for me it's just a 3% grocery card and I spend $300-$400 per month on groceries.  It takes me 2-3 cycles to hit the $25 minimum redemption level, which isn't very appealing to be honest.  As for the other benefits, I never used any of them so them being taken away doesn't impact me on a personal level.

Message 9 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@8bitmachinegun wrote:

No, the BCP got the same benefit cuts

BCP has an additional year of extended warranty down from 2 years instead of losing it entirely. 

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.