Did you mean: 

AMEX dropping several benefits on BCE

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX dropping several benefits on BCE

@longtimelurker wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I love my BCE. I don't use any of these benefits (or the benefits of any card for that matter lol) so I don't personally mind the changes. 

Why do you love it?  From my point of view (which in my mind is objective truth) it isn't very exciting.   A capped 3% on supermarkets, with a much more restricted definition of supermarkets than some Visa cards, an extra month's delay in rewards posting, and a $25 minimum redemption.   So what's the plus side!   Amex offers?  Growth?  (I guess we are different because you love the DC too!)

Lol yeah, the growth is nice. Every now and then a good Amex offer will come along. I think the main reason I love it is because Amex has great customer service. Also,  the card is cool-looking lol. Don't judge me. And yes, I do love the DC. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 21 of 42
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX dropping several benefits on BCE

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Lol yeah, the growth is nice. Every now and then a good Amex offer will come along. I think the main reason I love it is because Amex has great customer service. Also,  the card is cool-looking lol. Don't judge me. And yes, I do love the DC. 

That's hilarious. Just the other day a drive through cashier said to me, "That's a really cool looking card." It's the only transparent card that I know of, even more distinctive than the metal cards that are all the rage.

FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 22 of 42
Socrates99

Amex benefit change!

I just opened my amex GC statement and it says:

effective 1/1/20 No more roadside assistance.

Effective 1/1/20 No more travel accident insurance.

Effective 1/1/20 extended warranty length are cut by various amounts of time.

Effective 1/1/20 Purchase protection cut to 90 days from 120.

Effective 1/1/20 No more return protection.

Anyone else see similar changes to their Amex GC accounts? This is really disappointing. Every card I have is either eliminating or reducing benefits drastically. I don’t know just disappointing. It’s not like they lowered the fee!
Message 23 of 42
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex benefit change!

It's like that for a lot of their cards now. 

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 24 of 42
Socrates99

I know, but as much as I’ve liked Amex in the past its getting harder to justify their fee. I don’t travel much anymore so I’m thinking what am I getting for $250 a year that I don’t get somewhere else for no AF. I know earlier this year Citi DC card did a lot of benefit cutting but they don’t charge me a fee. I’ve seen others doing it as well. I’m just disappointed at amex I think cuz of the fee and I’ve had the account for 25 years (I think the AF back then when I first opened the account was like $60). It also seems like a big bait and switch after they’ve got your fee for the year.

I just don’t like the trend and I was kind of hoping amex wouldn’t join the others because of their high fees. I know it’s a personal thing and some people who tavel a lot are getting great benefits with amex. The card is still not costing me because of the points so I’m still coming out on top sort of (at least I get more points than the AF costs). But compared to other cards the point value vs the AF just went way down. As I used the roadside assist and now I’ll have to spend $60 - $75 a year for AAA or someplace. It was the little services that made me like amex but maybe I’m in the minority here. I just hope there is at least a little pushback from people. This trend needs to stop. It’s ridiculous to have one card to buy your cell phone on for warranty ext, one card for this and one for that. I’m gonna have to keep a spreadsheet to keep track of which card to use where and for what to maximize rewards. Ridiculous!
Message 25 of 42
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

I feel you. I got rid of my AAA because of the roadside assistance. I had to look at my other cards to see who has it and noticed Cap1 does. But I may have to put my big boy pants on again and get their service just to be on the safeside. 

Have you used that guy Ask Sebby's 'Amex Gold Calculator'? I was going to dump my card before I used his calculator and decided I would keep it since I would be in the positive even when cutting my spending in half on it. 

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 26 of 42
Socrates99

Thanks for info. I’ll check it out.

Message 27 of 42
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

I got that notice too and I'm definitely not happy that the roadside assistance is going away.  I used that benefit twice last year when my car was on the fritz and it saved me a bunch in towing fees.  I still think the Platinum offers other good benefits that I can justify keeping the card, but I am sad to see the roadside assistance benefit go.  I got a new SUV in August, so technically I guess I'm ok, but hey, you never know!

Message 28 of 42
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Welcome to myFICO forums!  .. seems like a lot of cards are getting nerfed. not just Amex ..

Sadly ..I think it all boils down to squeezing more profits out for the lenders, at the cost of the end user.

just look at how they nerfed the Uber Card? .. (and no I dont have it)

Message 29 of 42
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Welcome to myFICO forums!  .. seems like a lot of cards are getting nerfed. not just Amex ..

Sadly ..I think it all boils down to squeezing more profits out for the lenders, at the cost of the end user.

just look at how they nerfed the Uber Card? .. (and no I dont have it)

Citi is making similar "enhancements".

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.