Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX everyday cash preferred question

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX everyday cash preferred question

@Anonymous wrote:

Kroger gas statons only net 1%. At least in my neighborhood they do. I am pretty sure it specifically states in the TOC that gas stations located in supermarkets do not count. 

+1

I can confirm this (at least for my own location); I get 6% back for all Kroger in-store purchases using my BCP,  but at the pump I don't get the grocery or gas bonus, just the flat 1% 'everywhere' reward.

Until I had a better option, I would purchase a Kroger store GC inside the grocery store using my BCP and use that to purchase gas at the pump, effectively earning 6% back for gas.  It does add an extra step (as soon as I got a 5% option for gas I switched) but it's workable. 

FWIW, the pump will be able to tell how much is on the GC prior to pumping, so there's none of the 'hold' stuff to worry about like with a V/MC gift card.  (This also works well for those people who don't like to use a credit card at the pump.)

Message 11 of 15
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Do not, repeat do not, drive all the way over to Whole Foods just to get 6% cash back on your purchases.  The prices on the products at Whole Foods are usually at least 6%, sometimes 10% higher, than they are at other grocery stores.  So you will lose money overall, despite the cash back, if you shop at Whole Foods.  Only shop at Whole Foods if you want a large selection of organic produce, pastured meats, and non-GMO products.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 12 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

My experience with AMEX categories and Kroger ( Fred Meyer ) is no Grocery or Gas categories ever. This is on cards like Hilton, and EDP, although it has been a while since I tested it due to the long wait time ( forget time ) to check the coding.

Or maybe I did check it on PRG but still no bonus category so no change to my bitterness Smiley Wink
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 15
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I can’t speak about Kroger gas but Kroger does earn the extra points for groceries on my PRG and ED.

This is in Ohio where they are actual kroger’s

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been observing this and kroger fuel just give 1% on fuel. better use GC from grocery for 6% CB. I also just learned that buying gcs from kroger can give you 6% on dining in restos and in transactions in amazon or ebay, or when buying in best buy, tjmaxx kohls. basically  everything that has gc can, you can get 6% cashback

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.