Did you mean: 

AMEX financial review ..

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX financial review ..

@Anonymous wrote:
Well my wife accidentally made a dumb big purchase with one of my Amex cards (Hilton) and I got hit with a FR , and honestly I’ve always paid in full , always made payments on time .. so if they want to go ahead and still do the FR because a dumb move my wife made I’m just gonna cancel my 3 cards , credits gonna tank but oh well , but I don’t wanna show them my stuff because I’ve been great with them on payments and were my go to cards . So I’ll just cancel my accounts n my credit will take a big hit sadly.. any help on what I should do ?

First, don't take it personally. 

Second, can you elaborate on what's a dumb big purchase -- I mean, did she buy a car on your CC? (only joking)? Also, how can one accidentally make a big purchase--this is so confusing.

Third, is wife an AU?

Fourth, AmX may be doing a FR for more than one thing that's not solely related to AmX. So, what is the UT on all individual cards in your wallet and are you making more than minimum payments? Have you opened several new accounts lately? Has anything derogatory been added to your CRs. Have your scores dropped since you got your AmX. Just trying to figure out what is really going on.

Finally, I understand not wanting to kowtow to a FR because neither would I and hope I'm never put in a position to do so. So the answer is simple. If they are requesting a 4506-T and you are adamant about not submitting one, then yes, it would be best to close the cards. However, if they are only asking for POI, why not provide that? So, what does the FR request consist of. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 11 of 65
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I mean you have two options here - comply or don't comply. There isn't really any advice to be given other than make absolutely sure that you're okay with losing the relationship. The dead horse has been beaten many times on whether or not someone should hand over all that info so the choice is really up to you.

+1000

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 12 of 65
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well my wife accidentally made a dumb big purchase with one of my Amex cards (Hilton) and I got hit with a FR , and honestly I’ve always paid in full , always made payments on time .. so if they want to go ahead and still do the FR because a dumb move my wife made I’m just gonna cancel my 3 cards , credits gonna tank but oh well , but I don’t wanna show them my stuff because I’ve been great with them on payments and were my go to cards . So I’ll just cancel my accounts n my credit will take a big hit sadly.. any help on what I should do ?

You have three AMEX network cards in your siggy, but the Wells Fargo card is not included in this FR discussion. So you aren't planning to close the WF card, right?

The Ascend card has about a $45k limit, after just a year? Have you run other similar very large charges through this card? If not, then I will guess this is an example where AMEX can give you a pretend high limit, very quickly, but in the interest of risk management, they look closer at your profile if the actual use of the limit rises unexpectedly.  I refer to it as "easy come, easy go"

If you enjoy the rewards of the AMEX cards, and think you will be getting others, then complying with the 4506-T request is mandatory.  

You can close the cards, but I would guess your next app to AMEX may be a bit awkward if you didn't provide the 4506-T.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 65
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
@saeren so if someone doesn’t comply or provide the info you lose Amex relationship forever ?

No but you do until you provide them with the documents. A friend of mine refused to provide them two years ago and when he last applied for a card, he got asked right away. 

Yep. AmX has a memory like an elephant. It won't matter if you appy 20 years from now, you better believe that they will ask for those docs. JMO. Relationships are everything. Don't burn the bridge unless you feel like there are more fish in the sea, which there are, and you don't have to deal with this BS. But as Saeren said, be absolutely sure. 

Message 14 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Second, can you elaborate on what's a dumb big purchase -- I mean, did she buy a car on your CC? (only joking)? Also, how can one accidentally make a big purchase--this is so confusing.

Third, is wife an AU?

Fourth, AmX may be doing a FR for more than one thing that's not solely related to Am. So, what is the UT on all individual cards and are you making more than minimum payments? Have you opened new accounts lately? Has anything derogatory been added to your CRs. Have your scores dropped since you got your AmX. Just trying to figure out what is really going on.

Finally, I understand not wanting to kowtow to a FR because neither would I and hope I'm never put in a spot to do so. So the answer is simple. If they are requesting a 4506-T and you are adamant about not submitting one, then yes, it would be best to close the cards. However, if they are only asking for POI, why not provide that? So, what does the FR request consist of. 

Let's just say this purchase was over 30k . So yes very dumb purchase.

Yes she's an AU but for some reason she used MY card.

i always pay my amex cards  in full , my utilization rate before this purchase was about 2-3%. no new accounts, no degoratory, and no same scores no dropping.

They're requestion the 4506T that is the reason why i want to just close them up

Message 15 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You have three AMEX network cards in your siggy, but the Wells Fargo card is not included in this FR discussion. So you aren't planning to close the WF card, right?

The Ascend card has about a $45k limit, after just a year? Have you run other similar very large charges through this card? If not, then I will guess this is an example where AMEX can give you a pretend high limit, very quickly, but in the interest of risk management, they look closer at your profile if the actual use of the limit rises unexpectedly.  I refer to it as "easy come, easy go"

If you enjoy the rewards of the AMEX cards, and think you will be getting others, then complying with the 4506-T request is mandatory.  

You can close the cards, but I would guess your next app to AMEX may be a bit awkward if you didn't provide the 4506-T.  

No, i still have and will keep the WF Propel

That was actually my SL when I got the card, and no never really made any big purchases.

Message 16 of 65
Trikoret
Contributor

No idea from one purchase they got spooked. Since you been with them over year so know your payment history. Keep there are other Banks will do a FR. I don't Amex FR a big deal especially if you end up losing them
Message 17 of 65
NRB525
Super Contributor

I would provide the 4506-T. 

I don't understand the common opinion that cardholders want to borrow thousands of unsecured credit on a card, but do not want to make the bank comfortable that the cardholder is a good risk. From the bank perspective, each new account is just a number, no real distinction between good long term customers and a future write off. /end rant/

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 18 of 65
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Third, is wife an AU?

Fourth, AmX may be doing a FR for more than one thing that's not solely related to Am. So, what is the UT on all individual cards and are you making more than minimum payments? Have you opened new accounts lately? Has anything derogatory been added to your CRs. Have your scores dropped since you got your AmX. Just trying to figure out what is really going on.

Finally, I understand not wanting to kowtow to a FR because neither would I and hope I'm never put in a spot to do so. So the answer is simple. If they are requesting a 4506-T and you are adamant about not submitting one, then yes, it would be best to close the cards. However, if they are only asking for POI, why not provide that? So, what does the FR request consist of. 

Let's just say this purchase was over 30k . So yes very dumb purchase.

Yes she's an AU but for some reason she used MY card.

i always pay my amex cards  in full , my utilization rate before this purchase was about 2-3%. no new accounts, no degoratory, and no same scores no dropping.

They're requestion the 4506T that is the reason why i want to just close them up

Did you return the item (since it was an accidental purchase)?

If you didn't return it, can you pay the $30K in full? (I'm only asking because you say you PIF)

A $30K one-time purchase on a $45K CL spooked the bejesus out of AmX. And, since they didn't shut you down and only requested a 4506-T, they're in risk prevention mode, which is quite understandable IMHO.

Message 19 of 65
Trikoret
Contributor

Well that's what credit score is for. That should be sufficient.
Message 20 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.