Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX frustration

tag
JuicySmoolyay
Established Member

AMEX frustration

This is to anybody with alot of AMEX experience.  I'm only a year in. I've gotten recent approvals for 2 other AMEX cards with 4 and 5 times the CL of my cash magnet card. I'm pre-approved for about 10 of their cards and I'm getting emails about the BCP card upgrade and others. However, they just turned down my CLI request for the cash magnet. Am I doomed to not get any increase on the CM because AMEX wants their fee? Is there any hope of bumping  this up? It is now my lowest CL. Thanks for any info.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX frustration

When you get your denial letter, post up with the reasons in the order they're listed. Amex is atypical in that their denial reasons are usually spelled out clearly. Do you have any derogs? Personal experience - I have one old derog. I've been approved for the six Amex cards in my sig. all four revolvers have been cemented at $1000 each and likely will be until that derog falls off.

Message 2 of 17
JuicySmoolyay
Established Member

My worst thing is I have, I think, 3 lates from about 4 years ago and I had one personal loan just got paid off so my scores dropped a bit from that. 

I will post with the reasons.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those lates are enough to keep the card from increasing. Amex really likes clean profiles. Everyone's experience varies by profile but I could see that being why. Depending on what your score fell to, that also could do it.

Message 4 of 17
JuicySmoolyay
Established Member

That's irritating because it was amex aproval, amex approval, disco cli, amex cli denial. I think within the same day.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It just says that they're willing to let you test drive, but they aren't just handing over the keys. Time and an improved profile should open the doors nicely.

Message 6 of 17
JuicySmoolyay
Established Member

Yeah. I get it. Sort of. It's gonna  be like me and Chase. 2 more years to get anywhere with them.

Message 7 of 17
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@JuicySmoolyay wrote:

That's irritating because it was amex aproval, amex approval, disco cli, amex cli denial. I think within the same day.

@Anonymous already gave you all the good info. Just out of curiosity, which AMEX cards do you have and what are their limits? When was the last time you asked for a CLI and were approved or denied?

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 8 of 17
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

You could try transferring credit from the other accounts.

Message 9 of 17
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

You could try transferring credit from the other accounts.

^^^^This right here. Move limits around enough to take 1 card to $12,000 before it's time to request your next CLI, then request $35,000. If they give you the 3X, just move limits back around again to the cards you use the most. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.