Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX gold AU Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX gold AU Question

I have DH as AU on my Amex gold account. He does most of the spending on it and pays it from his bank account with his own login. Is it a problem with AU doing most of the spend and pay with Amex. Will it trigger an FR?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX gold AU Question

I think you'll be fine. They care a lot more about getting paid than who is paying them, especially when it's a married couple.

Message 2 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

As long as the income you are reporting makes sense, you're fine.  Say hubbie makes $40k and wifey makes $300k and hubbie is reporting $40k income to Amex, but the monthly average spend is $10k because wifey is an AU... then there might be a FR due to it because $120k a year on a $40k income implies something amiss.  In that case, household income should be used and is permissible as long as there is reasonable expectation to shared finances.

Message 3 of 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

In the past when AU's outspent primary card holders by a signficant amount posts came out about FR requests.  I haven't seen those type of posts in a few years though so either amex has changed their practice and relaxed it or just hasnt happened near as much anymore?  As long as primary card holder has income to justify AU's spend then I wouldn't worry about it, but if say primary has 50k income and 10k a month is going through the AU card then it will certainly raise amex eyebrows as primary is responsible for AU's purchase in case AU defaults.

Message 4 of 6
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Just remember, Amex does not take into consideration DHs history on this card should he apply to Amex under his own name.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 6
Jkrause702
Regular Contributor

Prior to getting in with Amex myself I was the main spender as an AU on my wife's Cash Magnet Amex. It was not even close. My income ~80k, hers ~30k. Never raised any flags with them. While most of us would say that AU history doesn't carry any weight with them, I never saw a single prequal with Amex anytime I'd try. 2 months as an AU putting heavy spend and pay on my AU card with no other changes to report or score really and I was prequal'd and approved for Gold and BCE. Probably coincidence but I've always wondered. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.