cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX gold card pre-approved *UPDATE*

Contributor

AMEX gold card pre-approved *UPDATE*

Hello,

So I got a letter from AMEX saying that I was pre-approved for AMEX GC. I am a noob when it comes to CCs, but I really want to get into AMEX family. Is GC a good start? I think fees are a bit high though

I checked their pre-approval site and I am pre-approved for GC, Cash magnet and everyday. WHat card should I app for? Any idea on how generous AMEX are with their SLs? I really don't want another slow moving card. If I get a lower SL, can I ask them to reconsider? What FICO score and CBAs AMEX pull from?

I really need a good SL credit card since I am getting married pretty soon. Any other cards you suggest?

My profile:

EX: 698

TU: 690

EQ: 691

AAoA 4 years

3 enquiries on EX, 0 TU, 1 EQ

BofA - $7900 limit

Cap1 Plat - $3850

Cap1 QS - $3500

Student loan - $11698 remaining

1 Citibank charge off - over 2 years ago

3 30 days late BofA - over 3 years ago

Income - $90000

*UPDATE*

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Amex-Everyday-and-Venture-approved-today/m-p/...

7 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX gold card pre-approved

Amex will pull Experian.  Their credit cards have the potential for large and quick growth but not every person will experience that.  Don't apply just to get a card.  Get something you will use depending on your personal lifestyle.

FICO 8
Message 2 of 8
Frequent Contributor

If it doesnt make sense to you don’t get it because it makes sense to others....Do the point earning category and perks make it worth it to you? If not then stay away because the annual fee will bother you every year....
Current:

Wanted: No Rush
Message 3 of 8
Valued Contributor

Congratulations in your pre-qualification.

The Gold Card from American Express is a charge card, not a credit card. There is no interest rate or revolving debt as you are required to pay your monthly statement in full.

The card has no pre-set spending limit and as such your charging ability will be adjusted over time as you use and pay the card regularly. This internal limit is known only to the company, but is generally 3X your normal monthly spend. I would guess your starting limit would be around 5k, but you can check your spending power online in your account at any time.

Please read the list of benefits and rewards for the card before applying to ensure it fits your needs.
Message 4 of 8
Contributor

Thank you everyone for quick reply!

@RicHowe wrote:
Congratulations in your pre-qualification.

The Gold Card from American Express is a charge card, not a credit card. There is no interest rate or revolving debt as you are required to pay your monthly statement in full.

The card has no pre-set spending limit and as such your charging ability will be adjusted over time as you use and pay the card regularly. This internal limit is known only to the company, but is generally 3X your normal monthly spend. I would guess your starting limit would be around 5k, but you can check your spending power online in your account at any time.

Please read the list of benefits and rewards for the card before applying to ensure it fits your needs.

Oh if I have to pay it back every month, than I believe it's not for me! I am just looking for a card with good SL to use for my wedding. I will have to carry the balance for a couple of months. I guess I will have to go with everyday then!

Message 5 of 8
Regular Contributor

Hello OP

So, I apploed for an Amex Cash Magnet out of the blue Sept 20th this year. I was approved instantly with an SL of $12k.  61 days later, actually 65 days later (it was Thanksgiving week), I applied for a CLI to $25k, and was instantly approved, no questions asked.  Last week I was preapproved from Amex and with an SP, I apped for the Gold Card and was approved. I received it today UPS.  It's grteat and has no preset spending liit. I made a $5k purchase today, no problem. That's my story over the past few nonths. Amex has been good to me, and yes, they pull Experian for your first card and then once you are in the family, preapprovals are SP's. Le me know if you need my data points. I was around 750 Experian when I receiced my Cash Magnet and Experian 745 when I got my CLI to $25k and also 745 for my Gold card approval this week.  Update when you decide Smiley Happy

Mark

Message 6 of 8
Regular Contributor

Sorry for all the typos. Fighting to stay awake. LoL Smiley Sad

Mark

Message 7 of 8

Re: AMEX gold card pre-approved *UPDATE*

This thread is locked and closed to new messages.

The new thread can be found here:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Amex-Everyday-and-Venture-approved-today/m-p/...

Message 8 of 8