Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX hates me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX hates me

I agree with AJC here, I’d give it some time and then go for the increase on the Magnet when it’s eligible and move some of the limit over to the BCE.  Unfortunately, because it’s only $500, Amex won’t let you move the BCE limit over to the Magnet.

The normal minimum limit for the BCE is apparently $1K. They make an exception for the folks that are approved at $500. I know this because I’ve called and chatted about it before  My BCE started out at $500 too in 04/17.

If you wait until October, you may get an offer to upgrade to the BCP w/annual fee waived and a potential sign-up bonus. That doesn’t help you with CL but it may get you a nice SUB. It may also reset whatever bucket your BCE was in (or maybe enough time will have transpired that Amex loosens the reigns). Then after a year you can downgrade to the BCE card again. 

How’s your useage on the card? Are you actually utilizing it for category spending?  Also, what are your long-term goals with Amex?  Any other cards you’re interested in?

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Agree, your first card was borderline approved. You now got the Magnet at 2k so that is a positive sign. I would wait til you are eligble for a 3x and try on the magnet card. If they approve it you may consider seeing if you can move over the $500 and close it. If not you could always keep trying to 3x it. Seems time is what is needed with Amex. Eventually theyll open upSmiley Happy

+1

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with AJC here, I’d give it some time and then go for the increase on the Magnet when it’s eligible and move some of the limit over to the BCE.  Unfortunately, because it’s only $500, Amex won’t let you move the BCE limit over to the Magnet.

The normal minimum limit for the BCE is apparently $1K. They make an exception for the folks that are approved at $500. I know this because I’ve called and chatted about it before  My BCE started out at $500 too in 04/17.

If you wait until October, you may get an offer to upgrade to the BCP w/annual fee waived and a potential sign-up bonus. That doesn’t help you with CL but it may get you a nice SUB. It may also reset whatever bucket your BCE was in (or maybe enough time will have transpired that Amex loosens the reigns). Then after a year you can downgrade to the BCE card again. 

How’s your useage on the card? Are you actually utilizing it for category spending?  Also, what are your long-term goals with Amex?  Any other cards you’re interested in?

+1

Message 13 of 20
xaximus
Valued Contributor

+1
Also to add to this - Amex likes to see responsible spending and PIF's, they like to see usage, they like to see certain criteria I've noticed. The positive signs is that you were able to get another card with a 2k limit. I'd wait 61 days and see if you can get a 3x CLI on that one, then possibly transfer some CL onto the other card or use it for minor purchases and pay them off. It's better to hold onto it and overtime, it'll grow.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys for all the info! I will just hold onto it and keep using it as it has been in my wallet since getting it. I was just kinda shocked a card a year old hasn’t went up but a small tweak in my credit file going up I had gotten2 other cards
Message 15 of 20
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Just as an extra data point...  I got my first AMEX (EDP) in August of last year.  It started with a 2K limit.  I've gotten 2 3x CLIs (2K -> 6K -> 18K) since I've gotten the card.  Give it love, and don't carry a balance long term.  I generally pay off my AMEX a couple of days before the statement cuts.

Message 16 of 20
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I'd try for two 3X CLIs on the Magnet before moving limits to the BCE. If you're successful, that would give you 18k to play with. If you move the limit after your first CLI, the next CLI won't be as valuable.

Message 17 of 20
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

A $500 SL means that at the time of application you marginally qualified and were accepted under AMEX' de-facto credit steps program.   If you search the site you'll find a number of examples of members that started out with a $500 SL on their first card, their experiences with CLI attempts, and the actions they took. 

This is accurate.  Has been this way since 2014 and beyond.  Those starter cards are hard to convert.

Signature needs updating
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the replies. A few different ways I can try to go around this. You guys rock! Smiley Very Happy
Message 19 of 20
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Mine was a year old when I got my first CLI. And they auto CLI the BCE the next day. Before that all CLI attempts where a big nope.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.