Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX in Canada

tag
Arago
New Contributor

AMEX in Canada

I'm currently blacklisted with AMEX in America because of a closed account for around $17k, probably going on about 5 years now.  AMEX won't give me an AU card either.  I've heard the stories of people waiting 10-30 years to get back in, some being blacklisted for life.  I'm not interested in repaying just to be considered for a card, as I don't legally owe it anymore.  I suspect I would be likely denied even after repayment as AMEX's policy is to excessively punish people who don't repay no matter the circumstances.  

On the other hand, would it possible to get a canadian AMEX card?  I'm wondering if the AMEX blacklist is tied to the individual or just the credit report, depending on the country, of the individual.  I am a Canadian citizen and have no credit there yet, so my credit report there would be clean. 

Any thoughts? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mich800
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX in Canada

Why do you think AMEX is punishing people that fail to pay?   Seems like a reasonable policy to remain in business.  You make is sound like they were wrong.

Message 2 of 5
Arago
New Contributor

Why? 10-30 years or a lifetime blacklist is unreasonable.  It's really not my concern how AMEX stays in business, but compared to other companies, their blacklist is extreme.  They are wrong in asking people to repay debts they legally do not owe.   

Message 3 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Amex Bank of Canada isn't the same as the issuer of US cards from American Express.  However, they definitely do data sharing with their global services divisions.  It would be a roll of the dice, but the worst they can do is say no.

As for debts owed, while one is not legally liable for the debt that does not change the fact that money went unpaid.  If your friend borrows $500 and never pays you back, you do not have an obligation to loan them $500 again just because the statute of limitations for taking them to court has expired.  Each lender is allowed to make lending decisions based on their own criteria, as long as it is legal.  Previous relationships can certainly be the case.  Amex is not alone with blacklists for those who have included them in bankruptcy or have unpaid charge-offs.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless it was discharged in a bankruptcy, collection may not be legally enforceable but that doesn't change the fact that you still owe the money, even if they can't actively collect it (unless there is some other reason you don't have to pay?). If there is another reason, I'd love to hear it (being real here - I don't know any other way for legal liability to be rescinded other than a lender saying "don't worry about it, you're good").

Agreed completely that they aren't being unreasonable, they are just more strict about it than a bank like CapOne who has approved people for new cards while actively suing them for previous cards. They lost out on 17 grand. I know I'd be pretty heated about taking that loss and wouldn't be willing to relend after that either. Their sandbox, their rules.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.