Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX internal scoring

tag
Griselle
New Contributor

AMEX internal scoring

I have been using Scorewatch by Discover since it's only 9.99 a month and let you access your credit reports fairly regularly. When I received my AMEX sky blue in the mail today it said my EQ Fico was 676. So I became a little worried that I have become a little over confident based on FAKO scores. When I checked on MyFico it gave me the same score that ScoreWatch has been giving me in the 700's. So I'm guessing that Amex's letter was referencing an internal scoring?

American Express Blue Sky- 14,000 | BOA 123 Rewards- 12,000 | Chase Freedom- 7,000 | Chase Saphire Preferred- 7,000 | Best Buy Store Card- 2,400 | Discover More- 1,900

In the garden until 06/2014!!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX internal scoring

Amex pulls EXPERIAN.

Discover and Scorewatch pulls EQUIFAX.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Griselle wrote:

I have been using Scorewatch by Discover since it's only 9.99 a month and let you access your credit reports fairly regularly. When I received my AMEX sky blue in the mail today it said my EQ Fico was 676. So I became a little worried that I have become a little over confident based on FAKO scores. When I checked on MyFico it gave me the same score that ScoreWatch has been giving me in the 700's. So I'm guessing that Amex's letter was referencing an internal scoring?

Sounds like AMEX pulled a different flavor of FICO other than BEACON 5.0.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 12
zeusta20
Established Contributor

When I got my Green Card, I never received a copy of my fico score?! Is there a reason why???

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 4 of 12
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

You applied for a Charge card, they are not required to give you your FICO score if they approved you, because you got the best possible APR. If you get a revolver and they don't give you the best APR because of your FICO score they are required to give you a report.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 12
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Ohhh gotcha...okay.

Thanks!

@jamesdwi wrote:

You applied for a Charge card, they are not required to give you your FICO score if they approved you, because you got the best possible APR. If you get a revolver and they don't give you the best APR because of your FICO score they are required to give you a report.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 6 of 12
Griselle
New Contributor

I think the report that Amex pulls depends on which state you're in. The letter that came with my card specifically said that the source was Equifax even though they pulled all three. ScoreWatch monitors experian but gives you quarterly access to all three reports with corresponding scores.
American Express Blue Sky- 14,000 | BOA 123 Rewards- 12,000 | Chase Freedom- 7,000 | Chase Saphire Preferred- 7,000 | Best Buy Store Card- 2,400 | Discover More- 1,900

In the garden until 06/2014!!
Message 7 of 12
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Griselle wrote:
I think the report that Amex pulls depends on which state you're in. The letter that came with my card specifically said that the source was Equifax even though they pulled all three. ScoreWatch monitors experian but gives you quarterly access to all three reports with corresponding scores.

If it said it was an EQ FICO, and you pulled your EQ FICO from here at the same time, and they were different, I would second LS's comment above.  Amex must be giving  you a different version of EQ than Beacon 5.0.  But it's not an internal Amex score.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Griselle wrote:
....ScoreWatch monitors experian but gives you quarterly access to all three reports with corresponding scores.

SW monitors EQ, not EX an only provides your EQ report and EQ FICO score. It doesn't monitor all 3. It also gives you a chance to pull 2 reports per year at your discretion with the first being used when you first subscribe.

Message 9 of 12
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@Griselle wrote:
....ScoreWatch monitors experian but gives you quarterly access to all three reports with corresponding scores.

SW monitors EQ, not EX an only provides your EQ report and EQ FICO score. It doesn't monitor all 3. It also gives you a chance to pull 2 reports per year at your discretion with the first being used when you first subscribe.

I have been using Scorewatch by Discover (from the OP)

I think Scorewatch/SW are getting combined/mixed up here.  SW from MyFICO; Scorewatch from Discover. 

And yes, you're probably getting a Beacon 9.0 score for EQ.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.