tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX is Crazy!

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I've said it many times before... Unless you spend your life in airplane, the Amex Platinum card makes no sense otherwise. Plenty of other cards that offer better rewards and perks for less AF investment.

I would slightly disagree for the 100k signup bonus i think plat can still  be worth it , but it has a lot to deal with how you value your MR. 

Are you thinking in terms of the amount of spend that gets 5x? Or the number of lounge visits?

I agree with the "better rewards" part, but dispute the "and perks" part. What card comes close on perks?

Or maybe you mean travel benefits like trip insurance?

Prestige has better perks. Fourth night free (before taxes) on hotels, and you can earn hotel points and use/earn status at the same time. Add in the trip cancellation/interruption insurance (which no AMEX has), baggage insurance, price rewind, virtual account numbers, better warranty extensions,  ticket protection, $50 extra in airline credits (which includes tickets), and an AF that's $200 less/year than the Plat, and you've got yourself a winner. 

I agree it offers a lot. I've used many of those things with my Prestige.

But most of what you list I'd classify as "benefits" rather than "perks" (things that make travel more comfortable). I suppose the difference doesn't really matter that much when it's overall value that really matters.

Are you still in your first year with Premier and can't PC to Prestige yet?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 41 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX is Crazy!

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I've said it many times before... Unless you spend your life in airplane, the Amex Platinum card makes no sense otherwise. Plenty of other cards that offer better rewards and perks for less AF investment.

I would slightly disagree for the 100k signup bonus i think plat can still  be worth it , but it has a lot to deal with how you value your MR. 

Are you thinking in terms of the amount of spend that gets 5x? Or the number of lounge visits?

I agree with the "better rewards" part, but dispute the "and perks" part. What card comes close on perks?

Or maybe you mean travel benefits like trip insurance?

Prestige has better perks. Fourth night free (before taxes) on hotels, and you can earn hotel points and use/earn status at the same time. Add in the trip cancellation/interruption insurance (which no AMEX has), baggage insurance, price rewind, virtual account numbers, better warranty extensions,  ticket protection, $50 extra in airline credits (which includes tickets), and an AF that's $200 less/year than the Plat, and you've got yourself a winner. 

I agree it offers a lot. I've used many of those things with my Prestige.

But most of what you list I'd classify as "benefits" rather than "perks" (things that make travel more comfortable). I suppose the difference doesn't really matter that much when it's overall value that really matters.

Are you still in your first year with Premier and can't PC to Prestige yet?

My ultimate comfort is knowing if my plane is grounded because of ice (living in the snowbelt like I do) and perhaps ultimately cancelled, delay insurance or cancellation insurance will make sure I don't waste $1,500 on my trip. Comfort is also peace in mind of my baggage contents being covered in case they are lost or stolen by some TSA agent who opens my bag during screening (when they're being checked and put under the plane). If I'm supposed to be flying from NY to Dallas for a Cowboys game, having the ticket protection to cover my $500 tickets are even more awesome. 

Still in first year with Premier. Won't be able to get the Prestige PC until June I think. I don't want to get it in December anyways because I can't use the $250 credit twice unless I purchase tickets within the next 13 days which won't happen. 

Before I PC to the Prestige I'm going to open up a Citi Priority checking account for a 2-3 months so I can get the $350 AF. 

Message 42 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.