cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX just decreased my credit limit?

tag
afjock21
Valued Member

Re: AMEX just decreased my credit limit?

ive had a balance for as long as i can remember and amex raised my limit from 500 to 1000.

Message 41 of 47
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

@kwazziee wrote:

My DW havd a Costco True Earning with a limit of 30K and they drop it to 1,800. For no apparent reasong, her CC util was no more than 20% at any given time. Her total CL was around 150K between six cards. That is sad because we spend more than that just for our business at Costco.

If AMEX catches wind of you using a personal amex for any form of business expenses they are very likely to close the account entirely.  This violates their card agreement. 

Message 42 of 47
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

AMEX typically softpulls your credit often, even monthly. 

Did anything change in your file?  2-3 new cards, 20% utl change, any baddies, or numerous inquires?

I have had amex blue for years, and they cut my limit in half one year.  I got a little careless with credit, and ran up a 60% utilization rate on all my cards.  I had 6K on my amex blue with a 7K limit.  I paid of 2K and the limit followed haha. I paid off another 2K and low and behold the limit followed again. I finally PIF on all cards.  Two weeks later I received a letter from AMEX stating they had moved my limit to 9700.

They do not like large swings in ones credit profile.  They do not seem to care if you carry a balance, but it this happens on numerous cards - CLD is a coming. 

Message 43 of 47
bfranklin825
Valued Member

@pdog661 wrote:

I have had amex blue for years, and they cut my limit in half one year.  I got a little careless with credit, and ran up a 60% utilization rate on all my cards.  I had 6K on my amex blue with a 7K limit.  I paid of 2K and the limit followed haha. I paid off another 2K and low and behold the limit followed again. I finally PIF on all cards.  Two weeks later I received a letter from AMEX stating they had moved my limit to 9700.

They do not like large swings in ones credit profile.  They do not seem to care if you carry a balance, but it this happens on numerous cards - CLD is a coming. 

I was in the same situation with my UTIL and AMEX when they dropped me to 1k. So I've recently paid off most of my cards and am on the way to paying the last one off. Does this mean that AMEX can/will up my limit once again? Shoud I wait for it or request it online? I don't need a hard pull right now so I'm not for requesting it if it'll do that...

Starting Score: 667
Current Score: 719
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 44 of 47
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Bfranklin825 - you responded to an older thread that won't likely get much traffic. My suggestion would be to start a new thread with the specifics of your question so that more people will see and be able to help.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you get the advice you need!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 45 of 47
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@pdog661 wrote:

@kwazziee wrote:

My DW havd a Costco True Earning with a limit of 30K and they drop it to 1,800. For no apparent reasong, her CC util was no more than 20% at any given time. Her total CL was around 150K between six cards. That is sad because we spend more than that just for our business at Costco.

If AMEX catches wind of you using a personal amex for any form of business expenses they are very likely to close the account entirely.  This violates their card agreement. 

It might violate the T&C but I can tell you that they don't care (at least for me and many other business owners). I routinely make business purchases on personal cards. It's very apparent to spot on my transactions. I even put my business tax payment split across all my AMEX cards including three personal ones with no issue. YMMV but so far so good. 

Message 46 of 47
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

wow way to necro a thread guys...

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.