Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX...late April fools joke?!?!?!

tag
BP2003
Regular Contributor

AMEX...late April fools joke?!?!?!

Most recent credit monitoring from MyFico.com - 601 EQ & 608 TU.  I've been compulsively monitoring my credit usage and making on-time payments for the past 2 years and the only reason my scores are so low right now, is because of maxing out CCs for a recent wedding. I've got baddies galore from pre two years ago...including a paid-charge off from AMEX (among others) all +4 years old.

Well, for some odd reason, (out of boredom...i guess) I go to the AMEX link for the soft pull, to see if I pre-qualify for one of their products.  Of course, I don't expect anything to come up from the pre-qual request, but to my surprise - the Gold Card & Platinum Card comes up (with the Gold being the highlighted as the best choice for me).  I don't really think much of it at first and really didn't take it seriously...thinking that I would just be denied if I did the the full app.  Well I applied and was approved for the American Express Preferred Gold Card...what gives?!?!!?  I got an e-mail confirmation and everything, with the last few digits of the account #.  Should I expect American Express to notice that I obviously slipped through a crack...and not send the card?

I'm glad...but this is really odd and unexpected.

Message Edited by BP2003 on 09-21-2009 04:25 PM
***From ashy to classy***
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX...late April fools joke?!?!?!

It is probably real since you said in your post paid charge off with Amex. That makes you a previous Amex customer and Amex uses a different criteria for approvals in that case. Any way congrats and be cautious with the card for at least 6 - 12 months as Amex monitors their card usage very closely.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrads on your approval.  What is the preapproval link?

@BP2003 wrote:

Most recent credit monitoring from MyFico.com - 601 EQ & 608 TU.  I've been compulsively monitoring my credit usage and making on-time payments for the past 2 years and the only reason my scores are so low right now, is because of maxing out CCs for a recent wedding. I've got baddies galore from pre two years ago...including a paid-charge off from AMEX (among others) all +4 years old.

Well, for some odd reason, (out of boredom...i guess) I go to the AMEX link for the soft pull, to see if I pre-qualify for one of their products.  Of course, I don't expect anything to come up from the pre-qual request, but to my surprise - the Gold Card & Platinum Card comes up (with the Gold being the highlighted as the best choice for me).  I don't really think much of it at first and really didn't take it seriously...thinking that I would just be denied if I did the the full app.  Well I applied and was approved for the American Express Preferred Gold Card...what gives?!?!!?  I got an e-mail confirmation and everything, with the last few digits of the account #.  Should I expect American Express to notice that I obviously slipped through a crack...and not send the card?

Message 3 of 7
BP2003
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrads on your approval.  What is the preapproval link?

@BP2003 wrote:

https://www201.americanexpress.com/secure/my-special-offers

Message 4 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on the card! I had one for a year, but I got a Blue and closed the Gold right before the annual fee was due.

It's a good card. Unlike many here, I've always done well with AmEx. Just don't yank their chain if you can help it.

Keep an eye out for notices of getting 3X points. They seem to do this with the holiday shopping season coming up.

They're trying to give me a Plat now, but I'm thinking, hey guys, if I wouldn't pay $145 to renew the Gold, I'm sure not paying $450 upfront for the Plat! Smiley Wink

Maybe one day when I become a globe-trotting celebrity, I'll take them up on it. Mmm-hmmm.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

welcome to the AMEX  club!!! 
Message 6 of 7
BP2003
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Upon further review (I had to pull my most recent scores out of curiosity, and since apparently Scorewatch isn't really doing its job) my EQ is 647 and my TU is 633.  Still odd scores to get approval from AMEX...or so I thought.Smiley Happy  Not to mention instant on-line approval.
Message Edited by BP2003 on 09-22-2009 07:13 AM
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.